Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Rubber Ball Brace
Rubber Ball Brace [message #46773] Wed, 27 April 2005 12:56 Go to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

For those of you building seven π or eight π speakers, or anything else with a π midhorn in a cabinet, here's a neat trick you'll want to do.

Get a tennis ball or similarly sized rubber ball and cut it in half. You can actually find a wall protector at hardware stores that works perfectly. That's what is shown below. It is used as a door stop to protect the wall from a doorknob going through the sheetrock. Anyway, take two hemispheres and put them on either side of the magnet vent hole before fastening down your access panel. It will act as a brace for the panel.

I always hated access panels because they are prone to vibration. Any panel large enough to fit a 10" or 12" speaker through is large enough to vibrate. I don't care how rigid the rest of the cabinet is, and it doesn't matter if the panel is very solid, it always seems to be a trouble spot because you can't put a fixed brace in place.

I put wedge shaped braces on each of the four sides of the horn flare, so it and the cabinet surrounding it are solid as a rock. But without these rubber braces, the access panel wouldn't have any other mechanism to brace it. Put these in there and squish them down when you tighten the panel and viola! - The panel is preloaded and well braced. It will make that back panel as solid as the rest of the cabinet. You'll really hear the difference in the low keys of the piano, so do this step for sure.

Great vibration reduction trick! [message #46774 is a reply to message #46773] Wed, 27 April 2005 13:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
spkrman57
Illuminati (1st Degree)
I have seen some folks use inflatable items and leave the valve stem accessable to the exterior and keep the pressure up to level to pressurize the back panel.

Ron

Re: "Turn your head to the side and............. [message #46775 is a reply to message #46773] Wed, 27 April 2005 15:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BillEpstein is currently offline  BillEpstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
..........cough".

Re: "Turn your head to the side and............. [message #46776 is a reply to message #46775] Wed, 27 April 2005 15:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Re: Great vibration reduction trick! [message #46777 is a reply to message #46774] Wed, 27 April 2005 15:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

That's pretty good. These are pretty simple - There's just a little space, so you just squish the rubber.

Re: Rubber Ball Brace [message #46779 is a reply to message #46773] Wed, 27 April 2005 17:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Russellc is currently offline  Russellc
Illuminati (1st Degree)
My A7s have such a panel, the whole back removes (828 cab) I deaden it thusly: My a7s are in the corners, and the corner void behind the speaker is stuffed with pillows. also makes a first rate cat bed also.
Obviously this wouldn't work for the corner Pi horns but my help in cases where square box speakers are in corner positions.

Regards,
Russellc

Re: Rubber Ball Brace [message #46780 is a reply to message #46779] Wed, 27 April 2005 17:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Now that's cool. Cats dig speakers almost as much as audiophiles do, so you have a dual-purpose deal there.

Re: Rubber Ball Brace [message #46786 is a reply to message #46773] Wed, 27 April 2005 19:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adrian Mack is currently offline  Adrian Mack
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Pretty cool, Wayne! Looks like the perfect thing for the 7PI and 8PI with a chamber that small.

Re: Rubber Ball Brace [message #46787 is a reply to message #46780] Thu, 28 April 2005 07:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Russellc is currently offline  Russellc
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Fortunately, they ignore the cones now. when they were new, one cat stared at the cone of a 515 8G, looked at me and pounced! scratch one driver cone. Oh well, great plaines fixed it up.

russellc

Re: Rubber Ball Brace [message #46789 is a reply to message #46786] Thu, 28 April 2005 13:26 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
GarMan is currently offline  GarMan
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Adrian, it's been ages! How have you been keeping. Did you ever get your three-ways veneered like you wanted?

Previous Topic: horn dessign
Next Topic: Great Plains Audiofest
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon May 13 18:36:14 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout