Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Reconing JBL 2245 to 2241
Re: As an aside, [message #46372 is a reply to message #46368] Mon, 21 February 2005 02:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chris R is currently offline  Chris R
Master
Hi Wayne,

Were the mid-horn graphs made using an Alpha10 or some
other driver? Is the horn causing the lower end of the
curve to have higher output, or does that match the Alpha10's
natural curve, as in a 2-Pi also?

Thx, Chris

Re: Taco Bell [message #46375 is a reply to message #46371] Mon, 21 February 2005 07:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
../images/No_Taco_Heads.jpg
Re: As an aside, [message #46376 is a reply to message #46372] Mon, 21 February 2005 07:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Those response curves were made with the Delta 10, which is what the horn was originally intended to use.

Re: As an aside, [message #46696 is a reply to message #46368] Mon, 11 April 2005 10:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
DRC is currently offline  DRC
Master
Hi Wayne,

Have you tried, or do you know of anyone who has tried, the JBL 2123 in your mid-horn? Im still thinking of how else to approach my TAD1602/2123/TAD2001 system. A lot of the specs are quite similar, although the enclosure volume suggestions are quite different. But I don't know how to relate that to horn use.

Since I'm still on a Mac, I still can't use your (or most other) software to figure things out. Duh.

It would be lovely to get the overall system efficiency up, even if it meant driving the bottom with a larger amp. (Perhaps the AN Kit 4 below and a 45 amp above.) I'm eyeballing the Yamamoto amp Brian Bowdle/Venus HiFi sells. It has such a serious coooool factor, and by all accounts sounds gorgeous. (See, it ain't ALL about business! ../emoticons/winkie.gif
Re: As an aside, [message #46697 is a reply to message #46696] Mon, 11 April 2005 11:47 Go to previous message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I haven't tried a 2123 in a midhorn, but I have used the 2120. It has less output above 1kHz, but it has enough that summing is good with the tweeter at 1.6kHz. I found the 2012 sums best with a 2426 tweeter when the 2012 has a 1mH coil in series and the tweeter polarity is reversed. With a PSD2002 driver, you want the mid run flat out without a coil.

When you use the 2123 as a direct radiator, it's a little simpler because it's essentially a three π with a sub. The lower crossover point is not terribly critical, since the wavelength of 200Hz is nearly 6 feet. If the woofer is within about a foot and a half of the mid, front to back, you're in good shape. Just put a 6mH coil on the woofer, and it can be used in a π cornerhorn or a standard reflex or sealed box.

The upper crossover point is a little more critical. We want the midrange to cover the entire vocal range, so it is doing just about the whole 200-2kHz decade, just a little shy at 1.6kHz. The midrange driver is 10" diameter, so DI matching occurs between 1.2kHz and 2.4kHz, even without a horn. At 1.6kHz, wavelength is about nine inches. We don't want to be a half wavelength apart electrically or acoustically or we'll have a summing problem. Closer or further, either one is better.

The midhorn helps efficiency, directing the pattern into a 90x40 spread. Instead of collapsing DI it stays pretty constant through the midrange. The horizontal directivity is set by the flare and when used in corners, also by the room's walls, particularly at lower frequencies where the horn loses directional control. So the midhorn and tweeter have the same efficiency. But the midhorn upper limit is generally between 1kHz and 2kHz for best performance. There is usually some output above 2kHz, but in hifi situations, I usually shave this with a coil, if it appears in the response.

The midhorn and tweeter were a little tricky to get good summing. It's nice that everything worked out, and that was one of my main design criteria. I wanted a horn that was large enough to be used at low frequency to cover the entire midrange band. But I didn't want it so large that it was unattractive. I also wanted a horn that would sum well with the 1" compression tweeters, and preferred if I could retain the 1.6kHz crossover point. This was beneficial for many reasons. So it was nice that it worked out. But it doesn't work out for every midrange driver and in combination with every compression horn tweeter.

Previous Topic: Can I just sandbag it?
Next Topic: It must be the Auricaps
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Apr 29 01:02:41 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout