Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » He He....I traded Speakerman right out of his undies!!
Re: But he would not sell me "Muse", the cat!!! [message #46670 is a reply to message #46663] Wed, 06 April 2005 18:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Russellc is currently offline  Russellc
Illuminati (1st Degree)
After again looking at Bill's site, I see thay this is the case. Iconic is going to be the distributor of the drivers that great plaines makes.

Russellc

Re: That exact mid-horn is on the menu [message #46671 is a reply to message #46662] Wed, 06 April 2005 18:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Russellc is currently offline  Russellc
Illuminati (1st Degree)
I still need to buy the midhorn kits, so you've gone a step or two further than me, hopefully I will harass some cabinet maker into building my cabs for the Pi 7s this summer. If they just blow me away, I may consider dumping my altec A7s....but they will have to sound way better. who am I fooling I'll keep it all. maybe a larger house?

Russellc

Re: WTFDIK about attenuation [message #46672 is a reply to message #46669] Wed, 06 April 2005 18:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BillEpstein is currently offline  BillEpstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
I was listening tonight to the Szell/Cleveland "Live In Tokyo" Sibelius Second. I always thought it the very best example of a non-audiophile recording as well as one of the Clevelanders best efforts. And Szell died just 3 months later.........
Anyhow, it sounded better than ever; more "live", more "dynamic" and all the instruments with breath and tone; downbows and sharp pizzicato attacks.
It struck me that perhaps I had struck a better balance between the low and high frequency drivers.
On Patricia Barber's "Cafe Blue" I heard brushes on the snares together with the well-known 8 foot apart cymbals that were lost before.
And on James Taylor "Hourglass" the skins of the big Tom-toms stretched even further on Gaia.
That's not hi-fi detail, that's balance.
The Altec Heritage site says that the 902-B is 107dB efficient. I have a 30 Ohm shunt and 60 Ohm series resistor together with the .47 cap. The crossover is 16 ohms but the driver is 8.
You want to think the 902-B at coming in at 1200 Hz is overpowering the 2226 but it isn't.
Is it?

Re: WTFDIK [message #46673 is a reply to message #46668] Wed, 06 April 2005 19:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GM is currently offline  GM
Viscount
Greets!

They're not too shabby! The 909s are just higher power handling 902s, so......

GM

Re: WTFDIK about attenuation [message #46674 is a reply to message #46672] Thu, 07 April 2005 05:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

From what you've said, the 902 is a very nice compression driver. I'm anxious to hear one. As for attenuation, I'd probably use a 10dB or 12dB circuit.

Use 4 Pi-pro crossover [message #46677 is a reply to message #46674] Thu, 07 April 2005 13:54 Go to previous message
spkrman57
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Bill,

Go back to a 8 ohm crossover and use 14 ohm shunt, 30 ohm series and .33 ufd bypass on the 30 ohm resistor. That is what I have currently that you heard.

To answer your previous question about the .68 ufd caps bypassing the 8 ufd and 22 ufd caps on the PE 1.6khz hi-pass crossover. I have been following the Lansing Heritage forum and checking out JBL's research into crossover design and noted that back in the older days JBL has standard crossovers like most everyone else. Then they found out that the larger mylar caps could be improved upon by using low value Metallized Poly Propolene (MPP) caps to bypass the larger caps in the crossover. The larger value caps are less likely to pass the upper HF components by themselves.

This might be a minor tweak, but after having the regular Pi crossover for years and now having the "tweaked" crossover with the bypass caps, I think the upper frequency range comes across with more detail and sparkle. Of course this could be my way of justifying the cost of 4 caps at around a buck apiece. I ordered everything for my crossovers from PE.

The recommended caps by the JBL guru's were the "Theta" caps, but the price was too much for my wallet, so the Dayton MPP caps were inexpensive enough to try out. I will continue to do this on all my future crossovers as I really think it makes a difference.

All I know is that the 902's on the 650hz Edgar saladbowls sound killer to me now. And thanks to JBL for having a 15" driver that is so versatile to use. Just a single coil for the 1.6khz crossover makes life easy.

The real fun comes when I get the 2242 18" JBL driver in the system as a sub. I will be using a PE 250 watt plate amp and might even dial in some EQ(swapping resistors on the plate amp).

I have come to the conclusion that with the 902/Edgarhorn and Pi crossover(tweaked) that I don't need a tweeter, With the JBL 2426, I highly recommend a tweeter and do away with the HF compensation on the Pi crossover.

That's all for now!

Ron

Previous Topic: Alpha 10 Sub???
Next Topic: L-Pad Configs
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed May 15 11:37:58 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers