Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » He He....I traded Speakerman right out of his undies!!
Re: Bill's 902's came from GP!!! [message #46660 is a reply to message #46655] Tue, 05 April 2005 18:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Russellc is currently offline  Russellc
Illuminati (1st Degree)
I'm sure if they came from Bill they have already had the treatment. If not, removal of the caps is an advantage. I hear you about switching drivers, i have at least 5 pairs of various altec drivers. They are all (within a given format) more or less the same with differences in diaprams and rear loading, felt or loading cap. An of course the alnico/ferrite distinction. I have jbl 2425H which I have not tried but I understand from wayne and others they are pretty much the same as the 2526, seems like I believe there is a slight magnet difference, or at least a few specs varied slightly. Now you've got me wanting to try the JBLs on the A7s...I have a 500 hz crossover, will the JBLs be okay at home volumes crossed over this low? its an altec 2nd order crossover. I've been saving the 2425s and a NOS pair of 2123H and a pair of 2225H for a 7Pi corner horn with midhorn, but never seem to get around to the boxes. I have thought about building some crossovers like you have there, out of more modern parts.

Regards,
Russellc

Re: But he would not sell me "Muse", the cat!!! [message #46661 is a reply to message #46657] Tue, 05 April 2005 18:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Russellc is currently offline  Russellc
Illuminati (1st Degree)
I may be dead wrong, but it was my understanding that the drivers are made by great plaines, I'm not sure what the relationship is between great plaines and Iconic. When I was first "back" into altec, I learned about Great plaines from Todd's altec sight. Iconic started up and was announced on that board, stating they would be supplying repro boxes for some classic Altec, in particular the Model 19. They have been working on crossovers as well. Then came the Iconic drivers, but I don't believe Iconic manufactured them, I always understood it was great plaines. Perhaps Iconic is going to be their distibutor? As I am sure most of you know, Bill H. was one of the last altec engineers when the doors shut, and he wisely snagged up the tooling for many of the Altec products. Bill H. told me his 1" format driver was basically a 902 8A (for the 8ohm version)
So Hopefully, bill's biz will boom. For Altec drivers, it is the replacement diapram to use, both for high frequency as well as replacement cones for low frequency drivers.

Regards and enjoy,
Russellc

Re: That exact mid-horn is on the menu [message #46662 is a reply to message #46660] Tue, 05 April 2005 19:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BillEpstein is currently offline  BillEpstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Deep within the vault (Muse is scratching at it's door)lies a pair of 2123's, an extra pair of 2226's and a set of mid-horn parts.
Do I listen to car speakers for 6 weeks and build a double 2226 with 902's or continue listening to the current speakers while building a single woofer 806A based unit. ?????

Muse the Cat

Re: But he would not sell me "Muse", the cat!!! [message #46663 is a reply to message #46661] Wed, 06 April 2005 04:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I'm not sure what relationship Iconic has to Great Plains, but I know that Bill and Todd work together. I don't know if they're essentially two business units of the same bunch, one for parts and repairs and the other for completed speakers, or if they're separate entities. Could be the latter and Iconic simply implements drivers that Great Plains makes or the other way around. Todd has indicated that he works closely with Bill, and that he does more public contact and PR than Bill does. That's pretty much all I know about the nature of their relationship at this point.

Re: Bill's 902's came from GP!!! [message #46664 is a reply to message #46660] Wed, 06 April 2005 04:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

The 2425 is a 2426 with the bolt-on to screw-on adapter removed. There is no other difference. The 2425 is currently used in JBL loudspeaker systems, where the 2426 is not. JBL currently only makes the 2426 for sale as a raw driver, and they only sell 25 a year. That's amazing to me, since I sell about 10 a year of those, and about 10 a month of the Eminence PSD2002.

Re: That exact mid-horn is on the menu [message #46665 is a reply to message #46662] Wed, 06 April 2005 04:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

The glove is a good idea. That way the chunks taken aren't your skin.

Re: That exact mid-horn is on the menu [message #46666 is a reply to message #46665] Wed, 06 April 2005 04:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
spkrman57
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Hey Bill,
Don't forget to feed "Muse", Hate to see what she would eat if her bowl were empty!! LOL

"dual 2226" we will have to talk!!!!

Ron

Then you should be very happy to try out a 902 driver then! [message #46667 is a reply to message #46659] Wed, 06 April 2005 14:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
spkrman57
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Wayne,
Now that I see the response graph, I understand what I heard while listening to. Bill E. feel free to chime in on this as you were at my house when we did the quick change up on the drivers.

I thought the upper midrange response was high on the 2426 with little top end. When I swapped out the 2426 for the 902, Bill and I both looked at each other and I asked him if the night and day change I heard was the same for him. I believe he agreed with me.

The 902 has that upper HF sparkle that the 2426 was missing. The test was done with Pi crossover modded with .68 ufd caps on the PE 1.6khz hi-pass crossover.

I hope you get apair of 902's soon to put a graph on also!

Thanks Wayne,
Ron

Re: WTFDIK [message #46668 is a reply to message #46667] Wed, 06 April 2005 15:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BillEpstein is currently offline  BillEpstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
I've become suspicious of the 902. It can't be that good.
Seriously, tho, it might be a TAD hi-fi-ish with the .47 cap attenuation. Gonna try the .33 to tone down the upper mid a bit and see.
I found the 2426 to be less forward but very well balanced. Ron and I were also A'B'ng round and tractrix horns and I had the galloping Zithromax "pucker" so don't pin too much on this. All the way back to Mansfield I was deathly afraid to fart! Certainly no horn that Sunday was going to sound "constipated"!
What's the .68 by-pass cap doing?

Re: WTFDIK [message #46669 is a reply to message #46668] Wed, 06 April 2005 17:20 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

One thing that is good about the 2426 is that response is a straight diagonal line. That makes a complementary slope possible to provide a flat response curve. There isn't quite enough there with passive EQ, and the collapsing DI of a tractrix or exponential horn doesn't do it either. But both methods increase top octave response, and in any case, it's a nice straight line with well behaved breakup.

Other compression drivers with more HF energy sometimes have multiple peaks and valleys. If the dips and peaks aren't too large, then the added energy up high might be worth it. But you can't EQ that kind of behavior away.

Previous Topic: Alpha 10 Sub???
Next Topic: L-Pad Configs
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed May 15 15:41:54 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout