Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Alpha 10 Sub???
Alpha 10 Sub??? [message #46651] Tue, 05 April 2005 08:54 Go to next message
vmps is currently offline  vmps
Esquire
hi recently i been playing with coral beta 6 (fullrage driver) they play well in back load horn but i need more from the bottom, remember seeing a folded bass horn here the Alpha 10", can any one help

Re: Alpha 10 Sub??? [message #46652 is a reply to message #46651] Tue, 05 April 2005 11:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

You probably saw the 12π horn I'm working on. It's on the table but I'm swamped with other stuff so it will be a while. The 12π uses a pair of 12" drivers mounted push-pull, and I'll probably do a smaller one with a pair of 10" woofers called the 10π.

You might try Fitzmaurice's forum if you're looking for a folded basshorn right away. The π basshorns won't be done until this summer. Too many projects, too little time.

Be aware that basshorns are intended for high output use, and they aren't necessarily high fidelity sound quality. It's tough to keep response from being peaky on a basshorn. They're just too small unless they have some help, like room corners or use in multiples. Even then, you don't see them having the same efficiency below 40Hz as they do above, so they usually have more output in the midbass. The wavelength of 30Hz is 40 feet, so basshorns don't get anywhere near wavelength dimensions. That's why for hifi quality, I probably wouldn't go with a folded basshorn.

If you're planning to use an Alpha 10 for a home hifi subwoofer, you might consider using it in a π cornerhorn cabinet. The DI increase from corner placement is 9dB, so that's pretty significant. Put the Alpha 10 in a 5ft3 chamber tuned to 35Hz, it will make nice flat deep response, and you won't need EQ like you would with a folded basshorn.

Check out Swap Meet [message #46656 is a reply to message #46651] Tue, 05 April 2005 13:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GarMan is currently offline  GarMan
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
There's a Tuba 24 for sale there if you want to buy vs build.

Re: Alpha 10 Sub??? [message #46675 is a reply to message #46652] Thu, 07 April 2005 07:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oscarl is currently offline  Oscarl
Chancellor
Wayne wrote-Put the Alpha 10 in a 5ft3 chamber tuned to 35Hz, it will make nice flat deep response, and you won't need EQ like you would with a folded basshorn.-

Do you mean a 2Pi Tower without a tweeter?

Oscar Levendal

Re: Alpha 10 Sub??? [message #46676 is a reply to message #46675] Thu, 07 April 2005 10:18 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Yes, but it can also take a different shape. A person could make some very nice π cornerhorns with them, and just use the bass bin for a sub. The height would be about the same as the two π tower.

Previous Topic: Martinelli Woodhorn moved to center stage
Next Topic: He He....I traded Speakerman right out of his undies!!
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu May 16 13:30:39 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio