Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » More 7 Pi base questions
More 7 Pi base questions [message #46634] Fri, 01 April 2005 16:16 Go to next message
Dean Kukral is currently offline  Dean Kukral
Master
I'm looking at my 2226's and thinking about mounting them flush, and I see two potential problems. First, the driver has a thick gasket that is rather firmly attached. Second, the gasket somewhat covers the holes for the mounting screws, and the holes are flush against the side of the driver frame, i.e. there is no clearance for the head of a screw. (I have bought some t-nuts and pretty stainless steel screws to use for mounting.)

It appears that this driver is meant to be mounted internally.

The gasket sits proud of the frame and is attached to the cone which is attached to the frame. It looks like it should not be removed, for fear of damaging the cone. (The screw issue is relatively minor.)

First of all, are there any comments on the above? And second, are the wave-lengths involved ( up to 350Hz at the most - more likely 200 since I am building a mid-horn, too) so great that how the thing is mounted is largely irrelevant with regard to edge diffraction? Finally, if it is mounted flush, does a gasket need to sit between the frame and the box? If so, do I need to remove the gasket from the front and use it, and is that feasible?

This question should be pretty clear if you have a 2226 to look at.

Re: More 7 Pi base questions [message #46635 is a reply to message #46634] Fri, 01 April 2005 17:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

The 2226 driver is suitable for internal or external mounting, but I rarely see them mounted internally. Don't remove the gasket, just run the screws. Thre is a large rubber O-Ring that comes with the driver you can use for a front-mount seal, but you probably won't need it.

You can route the speaker cutout hole and mount the driver flush if you want to, but there is no diffraction and no difference acoustically. Since the driver isn't seen, I don't think it makes any sense aesthetically either.

The cast frame driver is true enough that it make a good seal right against the wood, so you probably won't need a gasket underneath. If you find that you do, then use the O-Ring supplied with the driver or use some tar or silicon and run a bead. I prefer not to do this because it is messy and makes later removal awkward.

After you have assembled he speaker, run some music with good bass content and feel around the enclosure for leaks, including the edge of the driver where it meets the baffle. If there are any leaks, then you can go inside and seal it with silicon. If you've done a good job of making cuts and the driver cutout hole is round and properly sized, you won't have any leaks.

Thanks! (nt) [message #46636 is a reply to message #46635] Fri, 01 April 2005 19:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dean Kukral is currently offline  Dean Kukral
Master

Re: More 7 Pi base questions [message #46637 is a reply to message #46634] Sat, 02 April 2005 21:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Martinelli is currently offline  Bill Martinelli
Illuminati (1st Degree)

Olson Did study that provided many cons to mounting a driver internal to the baffle. Much better to cut a hole and drop the driver into the hole and mount from the outside. The driver sitting on top of the baffle is a far better mount for accoustical performance. Hary Olson's accoustical engineering

Bill

Re: More 7 Pi base questions [message #46638 is a reply to message #46637] Sun, 03 April 2005 03:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

It only matters if the edge created by baffle cutout is in proportion to wavelength. No difference positive or negative if not. So basically that means upper mids and tweeters.

Re: More 7 Pi base questions [message #46643 is a reply to message #46634] Mon, 04 April 2005 03:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BillEpstein is currently offline  BillEpstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)

I always double the baffle so the second layer "embraces" the speaker surround. This pic is for a 2226. I rout the holes in each baffle piece and then put the speaker in to align the 2 pieces while I screw and glue.

Re:Almost forgot.... [message #46644 is a reply to message #46643] Mon, 04 April 2005 04:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BillEpstein is currently offline  BillEpstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
You have to line up the 2 baffle piecs and drill the pilot hole for the router jig thru both at the same time

An alternative to silicon seal [message #46645 is a reply to message #46635] Mon, 04 April 2005 07:21 Go to previous message
GarMan is currently offline  GarMan
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
If you have a leak problem and don't want to deal with silicon seal, I find foam weather strips taped to the back of the driver helps. These are available from HD with self-adhesive back.

Previous Topic: Loudspeaker phasing: WTF?
Next Topic: Martinelli Woodhorn moved to center stage
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 14:28:38 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout