Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Bypassing protective lamp in crossover?
Bypassing protective lamp in crossover? [message #46535] Tue, 22 March 2005 09:43 Go to next message
GarMan is currently offline  GarMan
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Anyone ever tried bypassing the protective lamp in the PI Speaker crossover with a straight wire? Any noticable improvement to the sound? I know the lamp is there to protect the HF driver, but my drivers never see anything close to their power ratings.

Re: Bypassing protective lamp in crossover? [message #46537 is a reply to message #46535] Tue, 22 March 2005 10:48 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Try it, you'll be very surprised. Since it is about 1.8 ohms cold, I expected a noticeable difference would result from shorting it. If there were no other crossover components, it would raise the Q of the system. But the resistance is ahead of the reactive components in the crossover and is decoupled by them. It doesn't interact with the system as much as if it were after the crossover, in the position of R1. Changes in R1 resistance will make a measurable and noticeable difference. But ahead of the crossover, it doesn't.

Previous Topic: guitar speaker
Next Topic: Hey, Wayne, You Should . . .
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat May 18 04:35:39 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio