Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Finally finished my One Pis
Finally finished my One Pis [message #46409] Sun, 27 February 2005 11:00 Go to next message
James W. Johnson is currently offline  James W. Johnson
Master
Dang, I had a bunch wrote out and went to preview it and backed up and it was gone. Oh well.
Anyways I dont think I can type it like it was again so I will do the best I can.

I finally got around to finishing my One Pis , in short I my expecations have been exceeded by quite a bit. Ive build quite a number of speakers over the years and these are the best budget speakers ive ever heard. The Audax HT surround speakers I build many years ago were about $180 a pair for the parts and they did not sound half as good as these.

I could easily live with a bunch of these One Pis for my HT speakers. This is one hugely under rated speaker, most of the hype talk over at the HT forums has been about some internet companies like Axiom , AV123 ,..then you have your budget usuals from Paradigm and a plethora of other companies. It takes a number of years and some will to be able to extract yourself from the "popular" choice and make your own decision.
So often much of what gets sold is based soley on word of mouth and sadly alot of the word that gets spread is from newbs who cannot hear worth a snot or the owners of the companies themselves.

I am by no means an expert but I have been around the block and I have heard 30,000 a pair speakers on down to these One Pis.
Some speakers are worth their money and some are not....but a special few are worth more than their cost. These One Pis fit in that category IMO.

I had them set up as mains for awhile and now they sit in their home as my surrounds, nothing special about the finish, its just Rustoleum Hammered Finish paint.
Once again , thanks to Wayne for the plans and support.

Re: Finally finished my One Pis [message #46410 is a reply to message #46409] Sun, 27 February 2005 13:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RMW is currently offline  RMW
Baron
Hi James,

I agree completely - the one Pi's are a great deal!

Question for you - I don't see any silver trim on your tweeters. Would you be willing to share how you blackened them?

Re: Finally finished my One Pis [message #46411 is a reply to message #46409] Sun, 27 February 2005 14:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GrantMarshall is currently offline  GrantMarshall
Viscount

That's a kick butt looking set up James.

A couple of comfortable chairs and a fridge and you could probably live there ;-).

Did you find the wall treatment made a big difference?

Grant.

Re: Finally finished my One Pis [message #46412 is a reply to message #46411] Sun, 27 February 2005 14:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Master
thanks, I do pretty much live in there. The wall treatments do help quite a bit.

Re: Finally finished my One Pis [message #46413 is a reply to message #46410] Sun, 27 February 2005 14:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Master
My tweeters came all black, the KSN 1038A has the silver and the KSN 1041A is all black.

Re: Finally finished my One Pis [message #46414 is a reply to message #46409] Sun, 27 February 2005 15:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Great looking setup, James! Thanks for taking the time to post the review and the pics.

James - A Question (or Two) [message #46421 is a reply to message #46409] Tue, 01 March 2005 06:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
elektratig is currently offline  elektratig
Grand Master
James,

Great job. Congrats!

Your site suggests you're using a Pi 4 for a center channel (as well as for the fronts). I couldn't figure out from the pictures where you've hidden it. Is it there? And, if so, how is it working as a center channel?

e

Re: James - A Question (or Two) [message #46451 is a reply to message #46421] Sun, 06 March 2005 10:45 Go to previous message
Master
Hey, no its not there , I am still working on it.

Of course it will make a great center because its going to be voice matched to my mains. I am changing the shape of the box but otherwise it should be nearly identicle sounding.

Previous Topic: Need crossover advice for this tweeter
Next Topic: 4 Pi from the 80's
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 08:52:09 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout