Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Classic Studio 2 vs new Vifa Studio 2 - a comparison
Classic Studio 2 vs new Vifa Studio 2 - a comparison [message #46355] Fri, 18 February 2005 10:08 Go to next message
wlutke is currently offline  wlutke
Chancellor
A lot has gone on lately in my garage. Last Sunday was spent completing the Bottlehead Paramours (SET monoblocks), an eleven hour marathon. Then Tuesday adding the C4S active load mods. Wednesday saw some tube rolling. Last night it was replacing the KSN tweeters with Waynes new Vifa. I've had the Studio 2's for three months now, hooked up to an 80's Kenwood reciever I picked up down the street at a garage sale for $10 along with a Teac multi disc player for another $10, and a Thorens TT with Ortofon 540 MKII cart robbed from our living room system. That's a lot to digest but I think I have a pretty good handle on the classic Studio's sound. Since I can't easily go back and forth comparing the new and old, and 24 hours isn't enough time to really get to know the vifa's, I'll give my first impressions here only.
From the first note two things really jumped out at me. The music was much warmer. The music was less involving (more on this later.) I had hoped the lower sensitivity of the Vifa would bring up the bass and it did a very good job. I let my breath out on that one, with a big smile! After about a half hour and some messing with the volume control, the SETs began to kick in. These new tweeters are dynamite - once the volume control is off the Muzac setting. The classic 2's always seem to me to be alive and riveting at low levels where they sing. The new 2's sound flat there - maybe they just need to break in? But twist the knob to a moderate level and bye-bye KSN! I heard big improvements in imaging and soundstage, where instruments began to take on substance. The midrange hole was much less noticable, bringing out background like violins, vocals and piano in a smoother, fuller and more distinct manner. Cymbals were much smoother too. The presentation as a whole was more refined and unstrained. I think I'm going to like these new Vifa's a lot. But on a purely emotional level I'm going to miss the classic 2 sound. There is a certain immediacy that lets you into the music's soul where the Vifa doesn't quite reach (yet?.)
A note just for Paramour owners:
I built the Paramours without the CS4, then added it later. The CS4 mod eliminated the hum and tightened things up at the expense of that warmth so many of us enjoy. This new tweeter (subjectively) brings back that warmth in full measure!

Re: Classic Studio 2 vs new Vifa Studio 2 - a comparison [message #46357 is a reply to message #46355] Fri, 18 February 2005 15:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
spkrman57
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Thanks for a very informative review. I have a pair of Alpha 10's and plan to try a 2 pi tower system in the future with a pair of Phillips dome tweets.

Ron

Re: Classic Studio 2 vs new Vifa Studio 2 - a comparison [message #46359 is a reply to message #46355] Fri, 18 February 2005 16:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Great review, thanks! My reaction was similar to yours. I love the new version and miss the old one all at the same time.

Re: Classic Studio 2 vs new Vifa Studio 2 - a comparison [message #46362 is a reply to message #46355] Fri, 18 February 2005 21:34 Go to previous message
GarMan is currently offline  GarMan
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
I saw the same type of change in my 2PI Towers when I replaced the KSN with a PSD2002 + horn. I lot more refined, but lost some of the freedom and ease that the original design had. Kind of like seeing a teenage wildchild mature into a lady.

Previous Topic: The audio component I long for the most.
Next Topic: Studio Tower 2 Pi plans
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon May 13 04:11:06 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout