Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » The audio component I long for the most.
The audio component I long for the most. [message #46305] Sun, 13 February 2005 11:53 Go to next message
James W. Johnson is currently offline  James W. Johnson
Master
I finally came to the conclusion that my Stage 4 Pis dont lack anything but they are severely handicapped in my small room. Hopefully some day I can make more money and afford to rent/buy a larger house. Id love a room about 30 long x 20 wide and 15 high....I want a new room more than Ive ever wanted any other component. I guess since I have filtered thru so many components over the years I have finally come to the conclusion that hardware only goes so far. Middle range components in a good room sound a million times better than high end stuff in a crappy room. Ive heard this before , many , many times before but I did not truely believe it until now. I would go into denial and buy the gear anyways just because I could.

The good news is I can now stop spending money on components. In the last 10 years ive spent and lost a good 6-10K buying and selling stuff for a loss as well as lots of money in DIY supplies , drivers etc.

I guess though I had to go thru what I have gone thru to really appreciate where I stand in this audio hobby of mine. Its been fun but I believe this next 'phase' will be more fun.

I hear you about the room! [message #46306 is a reply to message #46305] Sun, 13 February 2005 12:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GarlandGarland is currently offline  GarlandGarland
Viscount
Mine is 14x18for my Theater 4s! But I'm sure you realize there is a lot that can be done to allow for too much reflectivity. Before the Pis, my main loudspeakers were Vandersteen 2Ci's and they were a bear to get sounding good but one day I stumbled upon the set-up with them firing out from diagonal corners in a fairly small, square room and was astounded by the imaging and soundstage.

Garland

Re: I hear you about the room! [message #46309 is a reply to message #46306] Sun, 13 February 2005 14:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
James W. Johnson is currently offline  James W. Johnson
Master
Oh I hear you about the fact that alot can be done but there simply is no replacement for a large room.

Best Buy near me has a crappy Bose speaker system is set-up in a large open spaced area...by no means do they sound that good but they certainly dont sound bad. This summer I plan on dragging my Stage 4 Pis outside and hooking them up to my QSC 1850HD amp just to get an idea of what their true potential is.

Re: I hear you about the room! (long-ish) [message #46312 is a reply to message #46309] Sun, 13 February 2005 23:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ToFo is currently offline  ToFo
Master
Hi James,

Have you tried/how do you feel about renting a pro sound loudspeaker processor so you can use an RTA to find a placement with halfway smooth bass response. Then use the eq to find out if flat power response around the room makes up for your reverberant field issue. I realize normalizing the frequency domain behavior by itself does't address the real issue of reverb arrival and decay times, but it's your first clue to what is going on in there. It can help find standing waves too. In my case this "correction" fixed the problem to my satisfaction. I bought the processor because it was a powerful tool. I left it hooked up because it was better than anything I had ever done to my system. some may hate the idea, or even the reality of the result. It may not be for everyone, but I am happily done with it. A couple of sheets of fiberglass framed behind tapestry art and a blinky metal box did the trick quite well. Is the room really fixed, no, can I really tell, no! If however you are a fan of analog or hate the idea of even a digital eq, note that in my case the ability to see what was happening, allowed me to find a setup that is much better even without the processor(hence renting one first) and may work for you just that way. I thought I had tried it all untill I could see it happening. We put the speakers on dollys and rolled them around like a giant tone control, only we could move the mic and see the total power in the room, so not to create more problems than we fixed. I am far from acoustics expert, but I am starting to see first hand what all those JBL white papers about D.I. matching and flat power response in the coverage area are all about. As an aside, taking your speakers outside and RTA-ing them will leave no doubt that Wayne has a real handle on things too.

Thomas

Re: The audio component I long for the most. [message #46315 is a reply to message #46305] Mon, 14 February 2005 07:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GarMan is currently offline  GarMan
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Spending money on a room? That is the most unsexy thing I've ever heard. In terms of bang-for-the-buck, $10,000 cryo-treated silver cables gives the most bragging rights. Even if the cables do nothing for your sound, you can still have all your friends over, pass it around and have them all drool over it.

It's like what I went through in the auto-slalom scene. Guys would spend thousands of dollars on in-take, exhaust, suspensions, etc to knock a few seconds off their time. I quickly realize that the best upgrade would be the driver behind the wheel. The few hundred dollars I spent on extra lessons gave me improvements I wouldn't get if I spent 10x that on the car. But still, guys and their shiny toys...

If we keep this up, pretty soon, we'll be suggesting something simple and sensible like switching off the forced air HVAC into the room during listening sessions to lower total noise floor.

Gar.

Re: The audio component I long for the most. [message #46319 is a reply to message #46305] Mon, 14 February 2005 17:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Tightwad is currently offline  Tightwad
Baron
I think Wayne has repeatedly stated that he would not buy a house with a crawlspace (?) because of sound considerations.

That tells you something right there.

Re: The audio component I long for the most. [message #46320 is a reply to message #46319] Tue, 15 February 2005 04:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BillEpstein is currently offline  BillEpstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
The sandboxes I put under my speakers made a huge difference from just being on the suspended trampoline-floor. The bass went from "one-note" to playing tunes and the mids and treble became clearer, as well.
As soon as it stops raining I'll be bringing home 6 of those 4x8 panels that are white finished over stiff fiberglass, like a giant ceiling tile. Very good dampening I'm told. $11 apiece, worth trying.

Re: The audio component I long for the most. [message #46321 is a reply to message #46320] Tue, 15 February 2005 07:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GarMan is currently offline  GarMan
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Bill, what are you going to do with almost 200 ft^2 of panel?

Re: The audio component I long for the most. [message #46322 is a reply to message #46305] Tue, 15 February 2005 07:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Russellc is currently offline  Russellc
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Hello, I use A7 in a 14 x 17 room,so I know what you mean. I found a substantial improvement by toeing them in a little more than would normally be the case, with each stuck in a corner. This seems to not only improve the midrange, but imaging as well. If you weren't previously listening to "high efficiency" I also note a transition period of sorts when shifting between high efficency speakers and normal efficency speakers. If used to normal, high efficiency seem to sound as you describe, sort of head piercing on a way. Once tweeked and adjusted, (and you get used to them) normal speakers sound like close and play untill you readjust. good luck with all this. Hopefully soon you will get them setup and can start really enjoying them as they are a fine speaker. If you try the "extreme toein" I describe, be advised that small movements can shift the center image to one side or the other. soplay a bit.

Regards, russellc

Russellc

Re: Bill, what are you going to do with almost 200 ft^2 of panel? [message #46323 is a reply to message #46321] Tue, 15 February 2005 16:46 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
BillEpstein is currently offline  BillEpstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Keep the Tralfamadorians from monitoring my brain waves, of course!

The 18' wall opposite and it's 7' return towards the wall you see will be covered with the stuff. I'll put pine 1x2 between the panels to break up the monotony. My good friend Larry from Hollywood Sound has had his listening room done like that for years. It will give me a live-end and a not-so-live-end (as opposed to a dead-end).
I've tried things like Sonex panels in the past but never sprang for things like room tunes or traps.
BTW, the toe-in I'm using is occasionally quite directional but mostly floats a soundstage from wall-to-wall on Analog, and only on Analog.

Previous Topic: Pi 4 w/ midhorn
Next Topic: Classic Studio 2 vs new Vifa Studio 2 - a comparison
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Apr 28 09:56:46 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout