Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » 8 PI Ideas
8 PI Ideas [message #46144] Sat, 15 January 2005 09:57 Go to next message
Russellc is currently offline  Russellc
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Wayne, could you please send me the 8 Pi plans as well as address a question for me. As an owner of Altec A7s, I find the 8PI very interesting and similar to the A7,frontload horn rear reflex. I have seen some of the guys on the Altec board Modifying A7s for more bass by blocking off the rear horn area from the lower reflex area, mounting an 18 inch JBL 2241 0r 45 (ported) and putting it together w/ an electronic crossover. Now, back to the 8 PI idea. The one thing I do not like about the design is that I would like to use JBL drivers. I know, the eminece driver is PERFECT for this application, and all that and agree,
BUT... I would still like JBL drivers. So, why not similarly use the jbl 2312 in the PI 8 and cut its rear area off (to standard mid horn size) from the reflex area below, and mount a JBL 18 inch in the lower part of the cab? One of the 18 inch 3 way corner horn crossovers should be easily adapted for this use? Is there enough volume in the lower part of the cab for this? (w/ JBL 2241 0r 45 )

Thanks, Russellc

You've got mail! [message #46145 is a reply to message #46144] Sat, 15 January 2005 10:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I like the system you're describing too. It's a three-way system, and that frees the midwoofer from doing LF duty, making it a dedicated midrange. If you're interested in something like that, I'd say go for it. If you can put your speakers in corners, go with the seven π design. If not, you can put the bass system in a more traditional box or maybe something convertable like the eight π shape. It works well in corners or out of corners. I'd stick with the crossover and the layout of the mid and tweeter because I think it's a winner. The π 250Hz Midhorn "Implementation" post has more information.
Re: You've got mail! [message #46146 is a reply to message #46145] Sat, 15 January 2005 11:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Thanks and I am going with the corner 7 PI w mid horn, but I like the 8 PI and now I can see a JBL upgrade path. Plus, I wouldn't mind owning a pair of JBL 18 inch drivers, as I could use them in the A7, or one of the larger PI units. I just can't seem to get around to having the cabs built, let alone doing it myself. I guess I need to at least buy the mid horns and get that part put together. The 4pi stage and 7 pi stage would sell like hotcakes in flat pack format, if the shipping was reasonable. It couldn't be more than the finished speakers would cost to ship.
If it was precut, I think I could force myself to assemble them surely!

Russellc

Re: You've got mail! [message #46147 is a reply to message #46145] Sat, 15 January 2005 11:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Whoops, I didn't receive them. sometime the hotmail address doesn't take them, try the sbcglobal.net address.

Thanks, Russellc

Re: You've got mail! - Resent to sbcglobal.net [message #46148 is a reply to message #46147] Sat, 15 January 2005 13:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Choices, choices [message #46149 is a reply to message #46146] Sat, 15 January 2005 13:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

You're right that flat packs would be great, but they'd be heavy so cost of shipping would be high. That's the rub. You can have a local cabinetmaker cut pieces for you much cheaper and make your own flat pack kits that way.

Which sevens are you planning? You mentioned an 18" woofer, so maybe the Audiophile Series seven π-18 would suit you. The Stage, Pro and Audiophile series cabinets are the same, so there's an easy upgrade path built-in. Then again, the cost of woofers is enough for the Omega 18's that you probably wouldn't want to toss them to upgrade to a Magnum 18HO or a JBL 2241. Might be better to get what you ultimately want right from the start.

Re: Choices, choices [message #46165 is a reply to message #46149] Wed, 19 January 2005 16:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Well I already have the jbl 2225h , so I will be going that way. Plus I started this for something smaller than the A7. Bought Jbl drivers for the 4Pi, but got a great deal on the 10 inch Jbl mid, decided then to do the 7Pi Going to the 18 inch 7Pi puts me right back where I started size wise, no smaller than than the A7s! The flat packs would not be cheap to ship, but no more unreasonable than shipping the finished units, Plus I would do it simply because I could click "buy it now" and have the precut pieces arrive on my doorstep. I'll bet others would to. Convenience always costs money, I just don't seem to get around to it, and I already have the drivers! Choices, choices!

Regards, Russellc

Re: Choices, choices [message #46166 is a reply to message #46165] Wed, 19 January 2005 17:00 Go to previous message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

You've got all the right parts for an excellent speaker! The JBL 2225 works perfectly in the Professional Series seven π. Just use it in place of the 2226, no other changes are necessary.

Previous Topic: Thermionic eight pi & Audiophile Seven pi plans
Next Topic: No raw drivers in PI speaker online shop?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri May 17 04:21:28 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio