Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Building 2 pi Towers
Building 2 pi Towers [message #46127] Sun, 09 January 2005 13:19 Go to next message
Forrest is currently offline  Forrest
Esquire
Hello,
I am new to Pi Speakers, and I am getting ready to build a pair of 2 Pi Towers. I was planning on using 3/4" MDF, paint the sides black and veneer the front. Also, flush mount the speakers.

This will be my first attempt at a set of speakers, and my first atttempt at veneering anything, so any suggestions as to how to proceed, any tips, or tricks, or what the minimal set of tools that I will need, or any other suggestions as to wood selection, finish, or where to order veneer supplies from, etc. would be appreciated.

I hope to wind up with a decent looking set of speakers, but not having to spend too much time or money to make them look that way.

Re: Building 2 pi Towers [message #46128 is a reply to message #46127] Sun, 09 January 2005 17:03 Go to previous message
Adam is currently offline  Adam
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Actually, if you're doing the sides/top in black, then I would do the front/back in black as well. Using veneered sides with a black front looks good, but I'm not so sure black top/sides with veneer front will look very good at all. I've never seen it done... probably for good reason... And I can't imagine it looking very good.

If you want something simpler and easier to do than paint, and a black finish is your main goal, try something like this...

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=260-010

It's fairly easy to use, and just has a sticky back and you put it on. Cut edges with a box cutter. Fairly easy to apply, although for the best finish you want to sand the box nice and smooth (no edges or bumps) and make sure to smooth out air bubbles when applying. Adding some extra spray glue (mainly on edges) will also help keep it stuck. Probably going to be a lot easier than painting, unless your goal specifically is some kind of super glossy finish.

Adam

Previous Topic: Cerwin Vega D6 speakers
Next Topic: Crown Studio Reference amps
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri May 17 06:49:38 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers