Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » one π bass reflex questions
one π bass reflex questions [message #46097] Thu, 30 December 2004 19:50 Go to next message
RMW is currently offline  RMW
Baron
Hi Wayne and all,

I'm in the final preparation phase of a project, not my first, but my first solo project. I'm sticking as close to the plans as I can. In the onePi_A08_bass_reflex_baffle_cutout.jpg diagram, the port cutout begins 1" from the bottom and right exterior edges of the enclosure. With 5/8" material, this places the bottom and one side of the port tube 3/8" from the inside of the box.

From the page linked below: "It (fiberglass) should not cover the woofer or the port opening. If construction type fiberglass is used, the paper backing should be peeled off."

My plan is to keep the R-13 away from the port tube, by sticking it to the top side of the box (int. D X int. W), then the side opposite the the port (int. D X [int. H - 3.5"]), and last the rear panel ([int. W - 3.5"] X [int. H - 3.5"]). Are there any known side effects to this approach?

Second question: Leach says that the paper backing should be peeled off. Any idea why? I can't see why fiberglass glued to paper, glued to MDF would sound different than fiberglass glued to MDF.

Thanks!

Re: one π bass reflex answers [message #46098 is a reply to message #46097] Thu, 30 December 2004 22:44 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Your method of attaching the insulation will be just fine. I usually put it on the sides nearest the port and tuck it under, but it's always puckered up near the port in the little speakers that way. Your way will prevent that. About the paper backing, you don't want it flapping against the wood panels. I suppose if you could glue it tightly and uniformly against the surface so it wouldn't flap or buzz, that would be OK. But it's probably easier to peel it off instead.

Previous Topic: im new to PI speakers. i have some Q's
Next Topic: eight pi loudspeaker
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun May 19 01:16:28 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout