Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Crown Studio Reference amps
Crown Studio Reference amps [message #46077] Mon, 27 December 2004 18:02 Go to next message
trev is currently offline  trev
Chancellor
Has anyone used these amps in a home theater/music listening environment? How do they sound? I have heard and read reviews that say thay are a little bright for a while and then they warm up a bit. others say that if you use warmer interconnects they sound great from the beginning.

Re: Crown Studio Reference amps [message #46078 is a reply to message #46077] Mon, 27 December 2004 22:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam is currently offline  Adam
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Warmer interconnects? sheesh...

Adam

Re: Crown Studio Reference amps [message #46079 is a reply to message #46078] Tue, 28 December 2004 00:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chancellor
thanks for the great and very helpful reply. your knowledge of the subject is truly staggering. sheesh...

Re: Crown Studio Reference amps [message #46080 is a reply to message #46077] Tue, 28 December 2004 07:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wunhuanglo is currently offline  wunhuanglo
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
My chief concern would be the cooling fans - I've used fan cooled amps in my living room before and the fan noise drove me nuts on quiet passages.

I use Crown K's and D-75A's for that reason.

Re: Crown Studio Reference amps [message #46081 is a reply to message #46077] Tue, 28 December 2004 07:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GrantMarshall is currently offline  GrantMarshall
Viscount

Hi Trev.

In regards to brightness, the brightness is because the high frequency speaker is too strong in regards to the midrange and or woofer. When sound is a little bright Wayne suggests adding "compensation" on the crossover. This is done by soldering resistors to the crossover portion feeding the high frequency driver which lowers the power going to the high frequency component only if I've got it right. You can get a collection for less than 20 bucks, use a soldering iron, and play until the sound is to your liking.

With the do it yourself crowd here they live to tweak. You can spend hundreds/ thousands on cables or 20 bucks on resistors. Don't take it personally when you hear things like "sheesh". It's a reaction to what is often considered a sleazier part of the audio business, not you personally (unless Adam knows you from somewhere?).

I've never had a Crown amp but from the comments I've seen on the boards they're well respected. With any luck you won't have brightness anyways.

Best wishes for the new year.

Grant.

Re: Crown Studio Reference amps [message #46082 is a reply to message #46077] Tue, 28 December 2004 10:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Wassilak is currently offline  Bill Wassilak
Illuminati (1st Degree)
I havn't used the Reference series but have used the D series and the PS series and found none of them to sound bright. I was reading the manual for the Reference series and they have a varible speed fan in them, so I don't think you have to worry about fan noise unless your really pushing the thing hard and the fans start kicking on.

HTH
Bill W.

Re: Crown Studio Reference amps [message #46083 is a reply to message #46077] Tue, 28 December 2004 14:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ToFo is currently offline  ToFo
Master
Not a lot of home users at this price, feedback may be hard to find. I have two Crown amps and the fan in my PB-1 is too loud for home use, but my D-75A beats my Tandberg, Adcoms and Sumo and is all I use now. I have heard newer variable fan Crowns, and fan noise is ok at low power, but if you aren't pushing it enough to speed up the fan the big ones may be more amp than needed. If you use big power routinely, wire the amp to another room where fan noise is no nuisance. I run the D-75A (40 watts/ch.) into a Theater 4 Pi's. it's loud and has enough headroom for recorded sound. My 125 watt/channel Adcom sounds like less power than the Crown(40 watts), but an spl meter tells me the Adcom is 4 dB louder. The Adcom rattles dishes and doors, but the Crown creates a sensation in the chest and stomach that is blatantly obvious. If I didn't know that both amps were of equally wide band, quicker than audio waves and ruler flat, I would guess the Crown played an octave deeper and had half the rise time. funny, since the D-75A's power supply would fit in my pocket. I do not know if or how it is possible, but I can easily demonstrate it.

What does this have to do with the reference series? Well, all Crown amps I have heard display the characteristic that I have described, so I guess the reference would just be more and better.

As for brightness, since I purchased a real time analyser and digital processor I have learned that all of my "bright" speakers have linearity issues in the top two octaves and upon correction sound great. I am now convinced that driver and room issues swamp the tiny differences that exist between switching and amplifying devices. I used to be a capacitor and cable freak, so on some level, I did not want to believe the data, but I can't ignore the best sound I have ever had in my house. I also can't ignore that a computer hooked to a "PA" has put kilobuck's worth or hi-fi in the bedroom. Some might not agree, but it is sweet to me.
Thomas

Re: Crown Studio Reference amps [message #46084 is a reply to message #46079] Tue, 28 December 2004 15:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chancellor
i would like to thank everybody for the quick and helpful replies. I had already planned to put the electronics in a seperate room. again thank you.

Re: Crown Studio Reference amps [message #46085 is a reply to message #46079] Tue, 28 December 2004 20:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam is currently offline  Adam
Illuminati (1st Degree)
It should be helpful in a roundabout way, as sentences like "the amp sounds bright until you break it in/warm it up" or "use it with "warmer" cables" sounds like little more than a reviewer who thinks he's hearing things he isn't throwing around dumb phraises. Incidentally, the warmer cables probably cost ten times as much as the regular cables. Do not take that as a personal attack as I assume those aren't your words.

Everyone else's posts are on point and on par with my own experience, and don't involve transistor breakin or warm cable voodoo.

Adam

Re: Crown Studio Reference amps [message #46129 is a reply to message #46084] Sun, 09 January 2005 21:46 Go to previous message
Kevin N. is currently offline  Kevin N.
Esquire
With due respect, I come from the pro audio end of things. I listen with both my ears and eyes. By this I mean that both can be fooled. Inter conects CAN make a differance, how ever anything more then a 15$ cord does not. I will say that the TYPE of cable is - balanced vs unballanve , 75 ohm, shielded ect. is important, .. how ever 99.9% copper is not.

Amps. Most amps sound the same when operating at low levels - it is when you start to push them that they start to sound the way they sound. I have only "heard" the referance amps once, in the studio so I can't comment on them. However, I have found that crown's pro amps are very good, I have lots of use out of teh crown a 5000 ( 5000watt+ in bridge mono) running subs, and for a long time that was teh defact standard for touring. That is getting unseated a bit by QSC and the powerlight series though (PL 9.0 and 6.0 at 9000watts and 6000watts respectively).

What I can tell you for sure is that the amps are like the 1 bit that has teh LEAST impact on sound. - converts in teh CD player (and the clock they use) does make a differance, but the top 2 most imporant parts are room and speakers.

if I had to rate them-
45% - room
35-40% - speakers
7-10% - cd player - or record play - or 8 track......
5% - amp
.001 % - use of fancy cable sets

if you want to see wht you are hearing get a 40$ mic (ecm8000)and get teh demo for sia smarrt.

any way its late talk to you later.

Previous Topic: Building 2 pi Towers
Next Topic: WTB - JBL 2226J, 2123J pairs
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri May 17 05:43:01 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers