Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » im new to PI speakers. i have some Q's
im new to PI speakers. i have some Q's [message #46007] Wed, 15 December 2004 16:22 Go to next message
scp53 is currently offline  scp53
Chancellor
How does pi compare to other horn speaker companies like klipsch for example. i was looking into diying some horn speakers for 7.1 theater. obviously going diy is going to save a lot of $$$. do the kits come with cabs or do you make them yourself? basically i d like some more info about pi because im unfamiliar with them. thanks in advance.

scp53

Re: im new to PI speakers. i have some Q's [message #46008 is a reply to message #46007] Wed, 15 December 2004 16:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Allow me to offer a reply here. I have owned Klipsch Kg 2/Kg 4/Cornwalls and heresies. They are nice speakers. The Pi Theater 4's are just a whole other size better at pretty much all of the important aspects of sound. Cleaner, better bass, more prescence,more real sounding midrange and nice clear highs. They are easy to build, they are just a box with holes in them. The instructions tell you exactly how to connect everything and what size the box is. Even if you needed someone to build the boxes, it would not be too expensive because they are simple to build.

Re: im new to PI speakers. i have some Q's [message #46009 is a reply to message #46008] Wed, 15 December 2004 17:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chancellor
so let me get this right. you buy a kit that comes with just the components. then you build the cabs your self. is those prices are for one speaker? so for a pair you buy two kits?

Re: im new to PI speakers. i have some Q's [message #46010 is a reply to message #46009] Wed, 15 December 2004 17:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Russellc is currently offline  Russellc
Illuminati (1st Degree)
With the Kits you build your own box. Yes, you need two kits for a stereo pair. I asked these same questions when I first came to Pi. ( thanks Wayne) You can also buy completed speakers, prices given for them are also per speaker. I always kind of liked Klipsch, particularly the La scala. Dollar for dollar, the Pi kits are going to clobber Klipsch in my opinion. With the JBL drivers, I feel quite safe in saying it should be no contest.

Russellc

Re: im new to PI speakers. i have some Q's [message #46011 is a reply to message #46010] Wed, 15 December 2004 18:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chancellor
im interested in building a horn loaded speaker with a 8" driver, any recommendations(i need 6 plus a center channel)? i see that pi offers studio kit stuff but only piezo tweeters. are there better 8" speakers with horns? and also are those studios sufficient for theater(other than lacking a horn)? my room would be 500-600 sq feet.

thanks, scp53

Re: im new to PI speakers. i have some Q's [message #46012 is a reply to message #46011] Wed, 15 December 2004 19:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Look at the eight π loudspeaker:

eight π loudspeaker

You might also consider the two π or two π tower with soft-dome tweeter. The piezo tweeter has been discontinued, so we are now offering this one. Stock of the original kits are dwindling, and when they run out, new kits will contain this tweeter and price will be increased $20.00. The tweeter circuit contains a 10uF capacitor in series and a 16 ohm resistor across the tweeter. The woofer circuit remains the same. Baffle cutout for the tweeter is slightly larger, so existing speakers can be easily retrofitted.

Re: im new to PI speakers. i have some Q's [message #46013 is a reply to message #46012] Wed, 15 December 2004 19:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mike Centracchio is currently offline  Mike Centracchio
Chancellor
Wayne, I cant seem to find the 8 Pi speaker any place in
your web site. Can you give me a clue?
Thanks, Mike

Re: im new to PI speakers. i have some Q's [message #46014 is a reply to message #46013] Wed, 15 December 2004 19:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Click the picture below and it will take you to the shopping cart entry for the eight π loudspeaker. More information can be found here.
eight π loudspeaker

Re: im new to PI speakers. i have some Q's [message #46032 is a reply to message #46008] Sat, 18 December 2004 20:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chancellor
ok, i think for the moment im sticking with the klipsch. but i need a center and dont want a klipsch or any other consumer center. will a basic $50-100 compression driver/horn combo sound ok with a efficient 8"/10" and match decently with the klipsch rb25s? the klipsch use a titanium driver so do i need a titanium driver for the center? im not talking perfectly matching, just close. id like to build the whole thing for under 300. and whats the difference between expontential and bi-radial horns. what is best for home use. surround speaker home use? i need info and what angles are best etc. thanks to all

scp53:)

Re: im new to PI speakers. i have some Q's [message #46090 is a reply to message #46012] Wed, 29 December 2004 22:34 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
RMW is currently offline  RMW
Baron
"You might also consider the two π or two π tower with soft-dome tweeter. The piezo tweeter has been discontinued, so we are now offering this one. Stock of the original kits are dwindling, and when they run out, new kits will contain this tweeter and price will be increased $20.00. The tweeter circuit contains a 10uF capacitor in series and a 16 ohm resistor across the tweeter. The woofer circuit remains the same. Baffle cutout for the tweeter is slightly larger, so existing speakers can be easily retrofitted."

Hi Wayne,

I managed to get my hands on six of the KSN1038 tweeters, and I plan to use them with Eminence Alpha 8's. In your opinion, are the Vifa soft domes audibly better than the CTS piezos? I realize that we're getting subjective here, but I would like to read your opinion.

Thanks!

Previous Topic: Felt on dust caps
Next Topic: one π bass reflex questions
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon May 06 06:35:12 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers