Home » Audio » General » Disappearing female
Disappearing female [message #451] Fri, 14 May 2004 19:18 Go to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Hi Wayne; Whatever happened to that woman that was arguing with you way back when ART was in its infancy. Ethics of posting rules or something, nice to have the ocassional feminine viewpoint, even in an argument, makes it seem more like home. I know two female engineers but they both went into patent law so they can afford pricey stuff and don't show any interest in design. I'm taking some courses at the community college; have you seen what these girls are wearing? or should I say not wearing. Hard to concentrate.

Suzy? [message #452 is a reply to message #451] Sat, 15 May 2004 01:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
You maybe talking about Suzy, although we usually saw things pretty much the same. She's just playful.

Re: Suzy? [message #453 is a reply to message #452] Sat, 15 May 2004 06:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Yes, thats her, I didn't mean argument in a bad way.

Re: Suzy? [message #454 is a reply to message #453] Sat, 15 May 2004 22:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
I wonder what she's doing these days. I'll have to write her and see.

On another subject, isn't that Heart Stoekit amp deal great?!! I'm real excited about it.

Re: Suzy? [message #455 is a reply to message #454] Sun, 16 May 2004 14:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Absolutely, on the amp deal; that is what I was hinting at with my post of friday asking if you would be using it with the 8 Pi or another high end speaker from your product line. I figure I can try covering the Theater 4's as a lesser priced combo and I personally was hoping you could give us your impressions on the higher end. Even 7's might be nice. Looking forward to this little venture. Those pics of McBrides 8's will make you a sale of components for the 8 Pi in about three more weeks if the IRS is on time with the check. They sure look great! I may have to mow a few more lawns. About Suzy, Tell her if you see her to bring a friend.

Re: Suzy? [message #457 is a reply to message #455] Sun, 16 May 2004 21:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
McBride's eight π's do look nice, don't they? That was the look I was hoping for when I started working on them and drew up the sketches. But Duncan is way out ahead of me, 'cause he's got them almost finished. He purchased crossovers before they or the eight π kits were even available on the π Speakers shopping cart. Looks to me like he'll have his speakers finished and makin' music by the end of the week.

You asked my impressions, so here goes. The eight π speakers have been slipped into the Thermionic series. I've listened to eight π prototypes that impressed me a great deal. But the Theater four π speakers are really nice too. My opinion is that the Theater four π speakers and the Thermionic eight π are about an even match. The Theater four π has the more expensive midwoofer but the eight π has the more elaborite cabinet with much deeper horn loading and the reduced distortion it provides.

I really like the interesting appearance of the new eight π speakers and having horn loading over most of the audio band is nice. On the other hand, the Theater four π cabinet offers excellent performance too, and it is much easier for a DIY project since the cabinet is simpler to build. Both are pretty cool. I really like them both, and it's hard for me to say which I like best. Right now it's probably the eight π's cause they're new and neat. I'm interested to see what Duncan thinks as his speakers near completion. They really look cool, that's for sure.

The seven eight π speakers are in another league. They use more expensive woofers, and they now have the midhorn and tweeter horn too. I've always liked the π cornerhorn design. The woofer loading from the room corner's apex works very well, and it is not only simple but very effective.

Since all the π cornerhorns now employ the midhorn, you get the best of both approaches. The woofers aren't asked to perform as midwoofers, so IMD is reduced. Dispersion of all subsystems is 90 x 40, so the "sweet spot" is nice and wide. And the mid and treble horns perform well together, bound seamlessly with the crossover, so it all comes together as a high performance system that looks great. The only disadvantage is that corners are required.

Re: Suzy? [message #460 is a reply to message #455] Tue, 18 May 2004 20:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GarMan is currently offline  GarMan
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
John,

What ever happened to that EL84 you got a month ago? I think you still own us a review of the kit?

Re: Suzy? [message #461 is a reply to message #460] Wed, 19 May 2004 17:12 Go to previous message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Your absolutely right, unfortunately short delay as the wife; for some reason, decided she needed a new bathroom and am now finishing the tile work as of this week. The rip-out took longer than expected since the sub-floor ended up being the thickness of cardboard and leaked through the joists, many stories with this one but I do a little on the amp when I can. I needed to lengthen all the wires from the transformer so that took lots of solder and stripping now I am wireing the switches and then test. The PC looks good so hopefully all will power up nice. Thanks for asking. J.R.

Previous Topic: Exotic subs
Next Topic: In defence of the poor haute audio critic
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon May 13 04:54:11 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout