Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Sub for One Pi
Sub for One Pi [message #45995] Sat, 11 December 2004 20:28 Go to next message
Walter Owens is currently offline  Walter Owens
Esquire
What would be an appropriate subwoofer for a One Pi system? I would like something with similar price/value parameters. A Pi branded solution would, of course, be really cool. Might the current push/pull discussion result in something useful for the purpose?

I just got a pair of One Pi kits and a pair of Two Pi kits. I am really pumped.

best regards,

Walter Owens
Garland, TX

Re: Sub for One Pi [message #45996 is a reply to message #45995] Sun, 12 December 2004 00:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Hi Walter,

I have several designs that you could use for a subwoofer. Most are intended for a drivers like Omega's, Kilomax, Magnums or JBL Pro drivers. So they're high power solutions using drivers from about $150.00 up.

If you build your two π speakers in the tower configuration, I don't think you'll want for a subwoofer.

The push-pull plenum horn we've discussed here is probably a bit much for what you're wanting. But the push-pull idea could be easily implemented in something else. What I'd suggest you consider is a pair of Alpha 10's configured in a push-pull configuration in a box from 3.5ft3 to 11ft3 tuned to 40Hz. This could be a bass-reflex box or a π cornerhorn. If you have the corners, go for the latter. It's attractive and it performs very well. It will hide the exposed magnet so it's a nice way to implement the push-pull arrangement, in my opinion.

Wayne

Re: Sub for One Pi [message #46000 is a reply to message #45995] Mon, 13 December 2004 07:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GarMan is currently offline  GarMan
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
I'd imagine a Delta12LF in a box between 3 to 4 ft^3 would work well with the One Pi's.

Re: Sub for One Pi [message #46001 is a reply to message #46000] Mon, 13 December 2004 16:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
I agree, that's a good idea. It's basically a Theater three π sans tweeter, and that makes a nice little sub for one π's.

Re: Sub for One Pi [message #46003 is a reply to message #45996] Mon, 13 December 2004 23:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Walter Owens is currently offline  Walter Owens
Esquire
Well, the two Pi's are a different application, but I could use the drivers for a little experimenting. The push/pull bass reflex alpha 10 idea sounds very interesting.

Could you put a tweeter on it and have a "super two pi tower"?

Good corners are hard to come by in my house. For subwoofer purposes could I face the drivers toward the wall (to hide the "backwards" driver)?

regards,

Walter Owens

Re: Sub for One Pi [message #46004 is a reply to message #46003] Mon, 13 December 2004 23:59 Go to previous message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
I think you could make a very nice two-way speaker with a pair of Alpha 10's connected push-pull and a tweeter. One approach would be to use a PSD2002 and crossover at 1.6kHz. That's what I'd be most comfortable with.

I think I'd mount the two Alpha 10's one on top of the other, physically close together. I'd put a crossover on each Alpha 10 driver, but I might consider staggering their values. If they are allowed to both reach 1.6kHz, then you'll have three sound sources in the octave around 1.6kHz or so. So I think I'd proably crossover the bottom woofer at 200Hz or so, and then let the upper one reach all the way up to 1.6kHz. That will prevent them from cancelling harmonics above 200Hz, but I'm not sure the push-pull arrangement remains effective as frequencies go up anyway. I'd expect shorting rings to work better through the midrange, and push-pull arrangements to work better in the bass.

Previous Topic: 4pi theatre or 4pi stage
Next Topic: 7 pi audiophile corner horn
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu May 16 02:36:05 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout