Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Changed amps on my 4 Pi Premium's
Changed amps on my 4 Pi Premium's [message #45966] Tue, 07 December 2004 19:07 Go to next message
drguayo is currently offline  drguayo
Viscount
I was using high end older Classe DR-9's(100-150w/c amp) but felt they were underpowered for my HT. I have swapped in some CREST CA-6(350w/c) with great results - I feel the extra headroom has really brought the Pi's to a new level for Home Theatre listening(feeling). I am wondering if the higher end pro amps just naturally have better synergy with the pro drivers. Wouldn't my Kilomax's have been tested/QA'd/tweaked by Eminence with pro amps? If you can live with the god ugliness of these Crests in particular - you may be in for a surprise at their musicality. I think I've had it with the insanity you can get into with high end consumer brand amps. I've put a link to my Pi speakers as they are 1 off's - 4 Pi Theatre cabs with Premium Stage components and the port modified to 7".

craig.

Re: Changed amps on my 4 Pi Premium's [message #45967 is a reply to message #45966] Tue, 07 December 2004 22:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Great link, thanks for posting it!

I think these speakers really do incredible things on high quality 600 to 1000 watt pro amps. I'm talking about amps that are capable of 600 to 1000 watts RMS per channel, sustained, all day long. Such an amp will likely be sold as a 2400 watt or 3600 watt stereo amp. They're capable of driving lower impedance loads, and they'll transfer more power that way. So our speakers are an easy load for them.

I've run them on just about everything, from 2 watt SET amps to 2000 watt pro amps. They sound nice on the little SET amps up to about 100dB or 105dB, three feet away. To set an example of the volume, that's louder than conversation level, so you have to yell or at least talk very loudly to be heard over the music. Ten or twenty watts gets them up to 110dB, which is getting pretty loud. There's no way to talk over the music at that level; It's about the volume level of a loud night club.

High quality 100 watt amps sound pretty good; You can make your speakers incredibly loud on 100 watts. It's getting close to 120dB by that point which is way louder than what most people even consider appropriate for home sound systems; More than what the typical home stereo is capable of.

When you go that extra distance and use high power prosound amps, you're getting close to 10dB more output, over 125dB. These levels are enough to make you actually feel different. It's incredible. Clear, loud, awesome.

The trouble is that it will really do a number on everything in your home. The television picture gets distorted because the yoke vibrates so much. Everything moves in the room, items on shelves and tables begin to "walk" across the surface from vibration. It will even damage your home structurally, so watch it. And of course, your hearing is damaged even at levels thousands of times less, so be careful in that regard too.

But man is it something. Clean and powerful, just incredible. I like running them on prosound amps sometimes.

Re: Changed amps on my 4 Pi Premium's [message #45970 is a reply to message #45967] Wed, 08 December 2004 11:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
. Theoretically the bodies response to high envireonmental noise levels is a release of endorphins, causing momentery pleasureable connections in the brain.

Re: Changed amps on my 4 Pi Premium's [message #45973 is a reply to message #45970] Wed, 08 December 2004 15:34 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
You know John, that makes sense. I think there is probably an adrenaline release too.

Previous Topic: downscaling midhorn
Next Topic: Lightweight One Pi
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat May 04 23:04:21 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout