Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Studio 1s as rear car speakers
Studio 1s as rear car speakers [message #45865] Wed, 24 November 2004 11:58 Go to next message
Garland garland is currently offline  Garland garland
Chancellor
I recall someone mentioning that the Studio 1s would be good as car speakers. I have been looking to replace the stock rear 6x9s on the hat shelf of my Honda Accord and was thinking about maybe trying Studio 1's. I have a couple of questions:

Will the sloping glass of the rear window act as a corner horn to augment bass responce and,if so, by how much? I don't want the bass to overwelm the balance of the system (no EQ).

...and:

how will the 8 ohm impedance effect the performance of the car system designed around the 4 ohm standard?

Thanks for anyone's help!

Garland

Re: Studio 1s as rear car speakers [message #45868 is a reply to message #45865] Wed, 24 November 2004 12:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I used a pair of one π's in the back of a Porsche 928 for a few years. The rear window of those is sloped, and so I set the speakers back in the hatchback, face up. Put some velcro on the back, a 2" x 2" square on each of the four corners, and this kept the speakers in place even under hard corners, braking and acceleration.

The speakers really, really sound good like that. Normally, one π's need a subwoofer, but with the car's cabin gain, it doesn't need a sub at all. And they're so efficient that 25 watts is seriously loud. I highly recommend this setup for you.

Re: Studio 1s as rear car speakers [message #45869 is a reply to message #45868] Wed, 24 November 2004 12:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
DRC is currently offline  DRC
Master
Ohhhh mannnnnnn . . . . . !

You hadda go and say that. Now I'm picturing Stu Ones driven by the Butler in the Volvo. Probably blow the windshield out of the car.

Re: Studio 1s as rear car speakers [message #45870 is a reply to message #45869] Wed, 24 November 2004 12:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

It sure doesn't cost much to give 'em a try.

Re: Studio 1s as rear car speakers [message #45871 is a reply to message #45870] Wed, 24 November 2004 13:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
DRC is currently offline  DRC
Master
that's for darn sure! I think I'd better work with what's in there already for starters though.

It turns out the amp section of my head unit is either on front and rear or off. So I'll need an amp for the front pair in order to shut the internal amp down and use the Butler to drive the back pair. Once I get that settled, I'll contemplate using a passive xo to shunt bass to something bigger than 5 1/4 in the (way) rear. That's where the Alpha 10's might come in.

Re: Studio 1s as rear car speakers [message #45873 is a reply to message #45871] Wed, 24 November 2004 13:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Sounds like a plan. The Alpha 10's will go much deeper, but they need a bigger box.

sounds good, Wayne! [message #45875 is a reply to message #45868] Wed, 24 November 2004 13:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Garland garland is currently offline  Garland garland
Chancellor
So, do you have the Motorola tweets still, or are you using some other piezo? Do you think angling the tweeters in using dedicated pods might work or will that mess with the integration of the drivers. I thought I'd mount the woofers in their boxes hanging from the hat shelf with appropriate reinforcement.I'll try to keep the stealth look with the stock 6x9 grills so that only the tweeters are visible and somehow made obscure and protected from my 4 and 6 year olds! These are hopefully going to be Christmas presents from my son to me, so as soon as I can convince him (He's the one who got the $5ooo bonus, not me!! ;-( )I hope to have an order in for the kits.
...and Dave, can the Butlers run off of speaker-level outputs? Some amps can but are usually the cheaper mass market stuff.

Happy Thanksgiving to All!!

Garland

Re: sounds good, Wayne! [message #45876 is a reply to message #45875] Wed, 24 November 2004 14:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I still have the piezo's. When I used the one π's in the car, I just laid them on their backs and let them reflect off the rear window up towards the front of the car. Velcro held them in place.

I own a pair of one π's, two π's and tower two π's, each with the KSN1038. I've used the KSN1038 tweeter for nearly 30 years in the Studio Series speakers. They're definitely like old familiar friends.

We still have several KSN1038's in stock for new kits sales. We literally bought up all of the remaining KSN1038's in the country when we found out they were being discontinued. I called CTS and spoke to them and found out who had inventory and bought them. I also inquired about the possibilities of second sources and discovered that CTS was actively looking for a company to buy their tooling equipment. So I had guarded optimism that it might be possible to continue to buy these drivers in the future. This may still come to pass, and if so, I'll continue to sell the Studio Series speakers as they always have been.

But at the same time, I began to look into other options. Some would probably find this as a big improvement. I have a tenative arrangement to start purchasing Vifa DX25's in 250 unit orders, so that I can provide the Studio Series kits at a price point that is still very attractive. The efficiency of the tweeters is about the same and it is a very neutral sounding device that many will approve of. It does sound quite good.

DST (the parent company of Vifa) has assured me that I can continue to purchase the tweeters for quite some time, and that supplies won't be sporadic. I was concerned about consistency and availability, but DST informs me that the base model of this tweeter was initially introduced in the 1980s and that the tweeter has evolved since then, but never been out of production. Improvements are evolutionary, so there will be compatible devices for years to come. That is very attractive to me.

I really like the piezo's, both for sentimental reasons and also for technical ones. While it would not be wise for me to disregard what people say, I have tried to not be swayed by opinions about the tweeter and instead judge it by its merits. The KSN1038 has been consistent, reliable and robust. Sound quality is good. Response is flat and extended, distortion is low. Dispersion is good, and off-axis sounds as good as on-axis. The device is very durable and attractive. All this at a price that made it easy to put together a good sounding high-efficiency speaker for very little money.

On the other hand, dome tweeters have very well behaved response characteristics. There is a certain sound to a bookshelf sized cone/dome speaker system and it is an extremely popular format for studio monitors and high-end systems. Most of them are around 90dB/W/M and have complex crossover networks. Taking this same approach but minimizing the crossover and moving it into the high-efficiency realm is magic.

I like them both, the horn tweeter version and dome tweeter version. Both have their strengths that make each of them attractive.

Re: Studio 1s as rear car speakers [message #45877 is a reply to message #45868] Wed, 24 November 2004 14:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Russellc is currently offline  Russellc
Illuminati (1st Degree)
How much do the ones weigh? Might have gotten interesting in the event of a roll over or collision! Built in sounds like a safer idea, If they can fit!

Russellc

Re: Studio 1s as rear car speakers [message #45878 is a reply to message #45877] Wed, 24 November 2004 14:54 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I'm sure you're right. The speakers wouldn't move when under hard cornering or braking, so that was good enough for me. I'm one of those personalities that doesn't really consider crash testing. Quarter-mile times is more my kind of test.

But I did bolt-in some one π's in a car one time. I removed the midwoofers, drilled mounting holes, bolted them in place, and then reinstalled the midwoofers. That was the best sounding car system I ever had. The speakers were PiAlign'ed JBL 2115s with KSN1038s above 10kHz. They were driven by Alpine amps and a Concorde front end. Sweet! And everything was nicely bolted down.

Previous Topic: FYI: Used JBL horns/drivers for sale
Next Topic: Double Driver Bass Horn Question
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed May 15 11:37:50 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout