Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Mounting H290 flare ( with driver attached) to front baffle.
Mounting H290 flare ( with driver attached) to front baffle. [message #45850] Mon, 22 November 2004 09:56 Go to next message
Frank Mena is currently offline  Frank Mena
Chancellor
Hi all!
I'm 3/4's of the way to finishing my Theater 4 pi's (man these things are big & heavy!!...pics on the way), and want to get some input.
I want to know if most people use t-nuts & speaker caulk to install the H290 flare & driver to the front baffle or if screws alone (with caulk) would do the job. What size (of screw or t-nut) works best? It seems a little heavy for the baffle to hold (I'm using MDF). I'll be using t-nuts for the woofer as it's quite big.

As an aside, these speakers have taken me a lot longer than I expected! I didn't have a place or tools to do the job but was lucky enough to take a wood working course at a local community college. THEY HAD EVERYTHING!! Instead of buying lots of tools or getting someone to make it for me this was the best alternative. I made lots of mistakes, but if someone like me who had never taken shop classes in school (back in the day.. I won't say how long ago...) The instructors showed me what to do & gave me tips. Definitely top notch!! I strongly urge anyone in a similar situation to do the same. I had to make two trips to get both speakers home as my car is small!!

Re: Mounting H290 flare ( with driver attached) to front baffle. [message #45851 is a reply to message #45850] Mon, 22 November 2004 10:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Hi Frank,

Use T-Nuts if you can. Those H290 mounting holes are close to the edge of the cutout because the lip on the H290 is kind of narrow. Wood screws will hold it, but if you ever go back in, each time those screws are removed and re-inserted takes some of the wood. T-Nuts are a much more durable fastening method.

Wayne

Re: Mounting H290 flare ( with driver attached) to front baffle. [message #45852 is a reply to message #45850] Mon, 22 November 2004 11:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GarMan is currently offline  GarMan
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
No. 10 bolts and T-nuts will work. For attaching the horn on the front baffle, the bottom screws do all the work.

If you want a big challenge, you can flush mount the horns into the baffle.

Gar.

Re: Mounting H290 flare ( with driver attached) to front baffle. [message #45856 is a reply to message #45850] Mon, 22 November 2004 20:54 Go to previous message
Bill Martinelli is currently offline  Bill Martinelli
Illuminati (1st Degree)

Your going to love these when you get them fired up. For mounting the H-290 horn. Like the guy's say, T-nuts are very helpful especially in MDF. Make your Baffle cut out for the horn
4.750 tall by 9.625 wide.
The horn will fit perfectly and just tip the driver slightly to get it in the opening.

Bill

Previous Topic: Hi wayne any new development on the 12 pi sub horn?
Next Topic: Thermo Pi 3 as kit ?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed May 15 08:20:28 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout