Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » pi 2 cabinet woods
pi 2 cabinet woods [message #45814] Wed, 17 November 2004 22:08 Go to next message
max3 is currently offline  max3
Esquire
Just wondering what people have been using for woods on these speakers. I was thinking of a birch cabinet. Any input would be appriciated.

Re: pi 2 cabinet woods [message #45816 is a reply to message #45814] Wed, 17 November 2004 23:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Most people use veneered MDF. This gives you the good acoustic properties of MDF and the beauty of a real wood veneer. Some veneer is thicker than others; Some is so thick it is more like paneling. Some people have even used sheet hardwoods over MDF, so there are a lot of good options for your finish layer.

Larger speakers are sometimes better done with plywood, for weight savings. Plywood is lighter and more durable, particularly in the presence of water. But the downside is that sometimes plywood layers have voids, and where there are voids, there is debris in the voids that buzzes. Better quality plywoods like baltic birch are more likely to be void free, and so less likely to develop buzzes.

But for a speaker like the two π that is fairly small and used indoors, I'd go with MDF and use your favorite high-quality veneer finish.

Re: pi 2 cabinet woods [message #45820 is a reply to message #45816] Thu, 18 November 2004 17:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Matts is currently offline  Matts
Grand Master
Not contradicting Wayne, but I built mine out of 3/4" Baltic ply with an oil finish and they've been great. I picked out a nice sheet and checked it for voids best I could. No buzzes or rattles. You would end up with nicer looking cabs with a good veneer, but my son actually wanted them to look home-made cause he thought it was so cool to build speakers.

Re: Somebody needs to try [message #45821 is a reply to message #45816] Thu, 18 November 2004 17:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BillEpstein is currently offline  BillEpstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
BALSA WOOD!
I was in the lumber yard yesterday looking at the exotics and came across a pile of Malaysian Balsa 2X. Great huge boards that practically floated up off the rack. Talk about non-resonant! Maybe no cabinet damping though?

How about ... [message #45822 is a reply to message #45821] Thu, 18 November 2004 18:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GarMan is currently offline  GarMan
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
MDB or baltic birch shell for structural strength, lined with 1/4" balsa.

Believe it or not, balsa's technically classified as a hardwood.

Re: How about ... [message #45825 is a reply to message #45822] Thu, 18 November 2004 22:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Matts is currently offline  Matts
Grand Master
I believe it- balsa is *very* strong. Don't let it's lightness fool you. It seems fragile when you're dealing with thin pieces for model airplanes, but a thick piece of it is extremely solid. I'd bet it would make great speakers.

Re: Somebody needs to try [message #45826 is a reply to message #45821] Thu, 18 November 2004 23:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Balsa wood and neodymium. Make it sealed and fill it with helium and you won't even have to use stands. Use just enough to offset the weight of mateials and make it have buoyancy where it just floats.

Re: pi 2 cabinet woods [message #45827 is a reply to message #45820] Thu, 18 November 2004 23:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
That's popular too. Don't get me wrong, I've built plenty of good speakers with plywoods.

Re: Somebody needs to try [message #45831 is a reply to message #45821] Fri, 19 November 2004 09:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chris R is currently offline  Chris R
Master
What was the Balsa selling for?
$$/bd-ft?
Or was it like dimensional lumber? $$/ft

Chris

Re: Somebody needs to try [message #45833 is a reply to message #45826] Fri, 19 November 2004 17:29 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
xflow7 is currently offline  xflow7
Esquire
Just don't use them outside when there's a high pressure system coming through...

Previous Topic: choice of speaker
Next Topic: bi=amp studio 2's
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu May 02 06:08:49 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout