Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Four Pi questions
Four Pi questions [message #45719] Tue, 02 November 2004 14:55 Go to next message
jmc is currently offline  jmc
Esquire
hi Wayne,

i am a total newbie to all of this but i have been lurking and drooling and dreaming here for a while.

i'd like take a look at some of the cabinet plans to see if i think it is something i can tackle (when money and time are in more abundance). i am pretty sure i would want to build a Four Pi. i really like the idea of it being upgradeable to the Pro model (a guy can dream), so i guess when i take the plunge i should start with Stage or Premium kit as they have the same cabinet dimensions? To upgrade one of these to Pro, would i need to do anything more than swap out the components?

oh, and just to make sure i am not making a mistake due to my ignorance, my plan would be to drive these with a solid state Mcintosh MC 2505 (50 w/ch). i also have a pair of Antique Sound Labs 8 watt tube monoblocs that i might hook them up to just for kicks, but the speakers would really be for my mcintosh setup. does this sound like a good match for Four Pi's?

so, can you email the plans that you think would be most appropriate for me to start with?

any suggestions or comments would be appreciated!

thanks!
john

Four Pi answers [message #45721 is a reply to message #45719] Tue, 02 November 2004 15:15 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

The Stage, Premium and Professional Series cabinets are all the same. Since a woofer and cabinet should be matched, this is not always possible. In fact, it is rare that you can swap woofers in cabinets and stil retain an optimal match. However, there is a certain about of goal setting evident in the designs of each of the woofers used in these cabinets - Many manufacturers produce 15" woofers designed to work well in cabinets from 2.5ft3 to 5.0ft3 tuned to 40Hz.

Crossovers are slightly different, but quite easy to configure. You'll find a chart that shows the components required for each model in the plans.

As for your amps, your 50 watt McIntosh amp will work well with any of them. For that matter, so will your ASL 8 watt amp. I have used each of these with the 2.5 watt Bottlehead Paramour and the 9 watt Stoetkit Ultralinear amp and both sounded great.

Previous Topic: Kilomax power
Next Topic: Anyone into guitar, 4X12 cab. plans needed.
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon May 06 04:40:06 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio