Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Pi 3-way
Pi 3-way [message #45660] Thu, 21 October 2004 18:05 Go to next message
LuxmanLover is currently offline  LuxmanLover
Master
Hello all
It's been a while since I stopped by but I'd like to take the opportunity to thank Wayne for his insperation and willingness to share his work. I've built many variations of quality speakers in the last couple years starting with Waynes 4Pi Pro. While the Pro is a great design it wasn't what I was looking for as it turned out. On recomendations of the guys over at Lansing Heritage I got a hold of some JBL 2235H's. I swapped out the 2226H's for the 35's and found that was a bit more to my taste. However as some of you know the 4 Pi Pro is a relatively small cabinet, too small for the 35's anyway. So, what the heck build bigger cabinets, and after all if a little is good more is better right? Wrong!!!!! I built the cabinets to JBL's spec of 5 cu', much to my surprise I was very unhapppy with the combo( I'd also gone 3way with a 2123J doing mids with a 2421 on a Eminence H290). Did I mention the cabinets were double loaded, oops very low SAP. Back to drawing board. Also I'd read post after post of how much better the wooden horns were turning out. Since the top end actually was a bigger issue than the sloppy bass I thought I'd give that a whirl too. So dig out Pi.exe, 4.05 cu' for a 2235H, just like Wayne had told me many moons ago. Long story short, I cut down the double 15" cabinets to fit my home built 2345 JBL cloned horns, 1/2 cu'sealed chambers up top for the mids and finished. How did it it work out, well in a work Unbeleivable !!!!!!!!!!! Done is the hiss and spit from the plastic horn, way more detail, much warmer tone, and tons of tight, accurate BASS!!!!!! I'll probably never build another speaker in my life.
Thx again Wayne

Re: Pi 3-way/M-120a [message #45661 is a reply to message #45660] Thu, 21 October 2004 18:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Say Mr. Luxmanlover, do you happen to be familiar with the M-120A amplifier by any chance? If so I would appreciate any thoughts or info you may have, Thanks in Advance, J.R.

Re: Pi 3-way/M-120a [message #45663 is a reply to message #45661] Thu, 21 October 2004 20:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
LuxmanLover is currently offline  LuxmanLover
Master
Hello
Well...I don't have any experience with that model but it was built in the zenith of Luxmans manufacturing. Which is a good and a bad thing. Good in that it is undoubtable an excellent piece of equipment, bad in that it's defiantly getting to the point that the caps are getting pretty old( same problem you will get with any vintage equipment). If you can service or get it serviced when required I wouldn't hesitate to buy a vintage piece. Power amps from that period are particularly good at using for bass amps due to their typically high damping factors. My M-6000 for example could (past tense you might notice) make you swear the drummer was sitting right in front of you. You got whack like I haven't heard before or since that is until it's power supply caps turned into resistors rather spontainouly and burnt the output transistors out. So she sits while I search for a competent tech.
Kelly

Re: Pi 3-way [message #45665 is a reply to message #45660] Thu, 21 October 2004 22:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Thanks for your post. I've been thinking about you and it's real good to see you here!

Re: Pi 3-way/M-120a [message #45668 is a reply to message #45663] Fri, 22 October 2004 07:39 Go to previous message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Thanks much for the reply. Mine was working well up until 2 montha ago but now it has a nasty pop on turn on. I opened it up and Jeeez; what a power transformer; the thing must weigh 5 pounds. Anyway I also need someone to examine; so if you happen along somebody I would really appreciate a note. Thanks,J.R.

Previous Topic: 18's for 10pi's
Next Topic: Stage 3 Omega pro
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue May 07 04:20:17 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout