Home » Audio » General » Cable matters
Cable matters [message #4564] Fri, 05 October 2007 17:33 Go to next message
SteveBrown is currently offline  SteveBrown
Grand Master
Hey, Gang, maybe this should be in some other forum but what the heck... I wanted to post a brief report on a new interconnect that is doing some very nice things in my system. Having recently moved, I've been missing vinyl (got plenty of TT's but they're back home, a home that isn't selling - so if anyone wants to buy or rent in Columbus.. ). Anyway, to satisfy my need for non-digital playback I bought an old AR XA on Ebay and was very happy with it. The thing came with two headshells, three catridges, all original alignment stuff, etc.. pretty cool. Anyway, who can resist tweaking? Not me! I just changed out the (likely 40 year old) RCA interconnects with Cardas tonearm wire from Parts Connection + AN RCAs. The cable is a five wire deal, very thin, meant to run all the way to the headshell, but I just took it to the terminal block where the old RCAs connected. Wow, much improved highs, soundstage width and depth, all over much nicer! Of course you'd expect it to be, but I post mostly to say, cable does make a difference. In the mean time, now I need to find some vinyl in Tulsa! Wayne??

Re: Cable matters [message #4565 is a reply to message #4564] Fri, 05 October 2007 18:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Very cool, Steve. I'd like to check that out. We need to get together soon.

For vinyl, check the used record stores. There are a few in Tulsa; One is near you at 68th and Memorial. You can sometimes find surprises in the Salvation Army and Goodwill thrift stores too. They usually have a bunch of junk, mostly records played on a nasty table and kept out of the sleeves. But one or two are gems, and sometimes you'll even find groups that way. They're worth checking every so often.

Used records inTulsa [message #4566 is a reply to message #4564] Fri, 05 October 2007 22:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Norris Wilson is currently offline  Norris Wilson
Grand Master
Steve,

Also, try looking on 61st and Sheridan next door to the Savoy Cafe.

I can't remember the name of the record store. But, is just north of Savoy, which is on the NE corner of 61st and Sheridan.

Good luck in your search for vinyl.

Norris Wilson

Re: That's what I'm tryin' to tell ya' [message #4567 is a reply to message #4564] Sat, 06 October 2007 13:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Epstein is currently offline  Bill Epstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
That XA was a treat! Had one from about '72 to '78.

And changing the wire, even just from the terminal block does make a BIG difference. Love the Vampire dual co-ax on my Technics.

Maybe you should get the whole table cryo'd?

Re: That's what I'm tryin' to tell ya' [message #4568 is a reply to message #4567] Sat, 06 October 2007 14:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Grand Master
Whole table cryo'ed? Do you think the foam mat can take it??

Re: Used records inTulsa [message #4569 is a reply to message #4566] Sat, 06 October 2007 19:56 Go to previous message
Grand Master
Looks like a nice place, but now only open by appointment... bummer!

Previous Topic: dell plasma tv
Next Topic: Zenith Mod. CV 5000 info?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon May 20 00:54:26 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout