Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Mid horn question
You've got mail! [message #45622 is a reply to message #45621] Mon, 18 October 2004 16:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I hope some rest on your back helps and your're on the mend in no time.

Re: You've got mail! [message #45629 is a reply to message #45622] Mon, 18 October 2004 20:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GarMan is currently offline  GarMan
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Thanks for the files Wayne. From the looks of it, the woofer and mid are attenuated on the high end with a psuedo 1st order, but there's nothing on the low end of the mid. Does the horn itself act as the high pass filter or is the system designed for the mid and woofer to blend together under 250Hz? I'd also imagine that the woofer overlaps with the mid up to 1KHz too, unless the corner horn acts as low pass filter.

Woofer / Midrange Crossover [message #45630 is a reply to message #45629] Mon, 18 October 2004 22:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

The low end cutoff of the midhorn acts as a high-pass filter, and the driver is able to handle a lot of low frequency power, so that's why there is no electrical high-pass. If you're really cranking it, it might reduce IM to add an electrical high-pass, but the midrange driver is able to handle 300 watts all the way down, so it's safe.

As for the woofer, that 5mH (L3) coil chokes the highs pretty well. Without a conjugate Zobel, you're right that more high frequency energy is applied across the woofer than would be if it were purely resistive. So without a Zobel, it's a "pseudo-first-order" filter. But the coil is rather large, so attenuation is about -15dB at 1kHz, where it stays pretty level as frequency rises. The signal across the voice coil drops between 250Hz and 1kHz, but after that point there is no additional attenuation and it never gets beyond about -15dB. Still, that's enough and allows the circuit to remain simple. Down this low in frequency, wavelengths are long so integration is smooth too.

Re: Woofer / Midrange Crossover [message #45635 is a reply to message #45630] Tue, 19 October 2004 08:27 Go to previous message
GarMan is currently offline  GarMan
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Hi Wayne. I also forgot about the quarter wave thing where the corner stops acting like a horn but becomes a reflector instead. So I guess at around 150 to 200 Hz, there'll be an additional 3dB drop for the woofer as well. It makes sense to me know.

Previous Topic: active crossover
Next Topic: Pi10 plans
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun May 12 08:46:38 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout