Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » rear loaded corner horns
rear loaded corner horns [message #45559] Wed, 13 October 2004 21:24 Go to next message
steve f is currently offline  steve f
Master
Hi All,
I am a great admirer of the Pi corner horn. (An elegant solution Wayne.) Since "less is more" I'm curious. Has anyone here attempted to build a really simple rear loaded corner horn? Perhaps using a full range driver.
Steve

Re: rear loaded corner horns [message #45560 is a reply to message #45559] Wed, 13 October 2004 22:14 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I think what you're describing is a π cornerhorn cabinet that's vented to the rear with a forward-facing fullrange driver. That's probably a pretty good idea, because I am sure that many of the fullrange backhorns probably enjoy improved bass output when placed in corners.

The thing is that some might feel this sort of hampers one of the traits that fullrange enthusiasts usually crave, and that's imaging. One suggestion that may help is to also horn load the front of the driver, like the eight π, so that angular coverage of the midrange is limited to reduce reflections from the floor and walls.

I'd probably keep compression down to 1-to-1, hoping to retain high frequency performance. This would result in light horn loading, with the main advantage sought being that of pattern control, and my guess is it would also help keep the response balanced. Might be something to look at for the single driver enthusiasts.

Previous Topic: Corner pi speakers
Next Topic: I'm here
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 05:01:11 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout