Home » Audio » General » Winter projects. What's everybody working on?
Winter projects. What's everybody working on? [message #4545] Sun, 23 September 2007 17:31 Go to next message
colinhester is currently offline  colinhester
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
I'm so far behind right now in remodeling that I don't know if I'll ever get another audio project finished. I have a few lined up; maybe I'll get two or three finished.

1) 2 Pi - cabs done
2) 7 Pi - tweeter and midhorn cabs done
3) SV811 amp - years behind on this one
4) Bottlehead SEX amp - first smoke test bad
5) 6V6 guitar amp
6) 3 Pi subs - cabs done
7) Rebuid Guivevere, a Group Project preamp

Re: Winter projects. What's everybody working on? [message #4546 is a reply to message #4545] Mon, 24 September 2007 08:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Wow - What happened to let the smoke out on your SEX amp?

I'm working on two big basshorns. I really need to finish work on the matching mid/tops, but I've had other stuff stay in front of it. The first production version of one of my basshorns kept everyone in my world busy last summer, then the wood tweeter kept us busy through the fall and winter. This summer, we ironed out a revision to the basshorn to perfect it, making it more like the original prototype. Now we're putting the finishing strokes on the plans for it, and we'll build and test it this fall and winter. A smaller version is in the works too, basically just the new version prodution model cut in half, so work on both models is happening simultaneously.

Re: Winter projects. What's everybody working on? [message #4548 is a reply to message #4545] Tue, 25 September 2007 00:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Duke is currently offline  Duke
Grand Master
One of my projects is a 90-dB ballpark stand-mount speaker that's hopefully small enough for me to ship around for in-home auditions. Of course, it won't go down very deep (that's okay - gives me a chance to make a subwoofer sale).

I'm also working on figuring out what characteristics a speaker should have to sound good in a very small room, as I think there's a market for such. The LS-3/5a is sort of the benchmark to be beaten in this regard, and I think it can be beaten soundly by using prosound drivers - assuming a somewhat larger box can be tolerated. This may or may not end up being the same speaker as the stand-mount mentioned above; it depends on what characteristics my investigation highlights.

In the immediate future I'll be working on a fairly large hornspeaker (to make its debut at RMAF) that will have somewhat unorthodox radiation pattern characteristics for a high efficiency design. I'll post details over on my forum after the show - assuming I get 'em done in time.

Finally, if everything else gets built, I want to do a guitar speaker. I've heard a lot of bad-sounding musical instrument speakers, and maybe there are guitarists who would pay a premium for a speaker that made them sound really good.

Duke

Re: Winter projects. What's everybody working on? [message #4549 is a reply to message #4548] Tue, 25 September 2007 08:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I think your guitar speaker is a great idea. Seems like guitarists and bass players have been left to their own devices, rather than engineers jumping in and making something for them. The thing is, I think they also like to set their "sound" by choosing drivers, so it's kind of like picking a flavor for them. That particular aspect is one that cannot be engineered. But to make a neutral speaker for acoustic and "natural sound" guitars is something I think would be good.

Re: Winter projects. What's everybody working on? [message #4550 is a reply to message #4549] Tue, 25 September 2007 11:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Wassilak is currently offline  Bill Wassilak
Illuminati (1st Degree)
This is a touchy area, a lot of guitarists are picky about the way a speaker should sound. Some of them I know took out there original Eminence speakers from there Fender amps, and replaced them with EV12L's or JBL E120's thinking they would sound better. They were wrong, they claimed they were to "clean" sounding and just couldn't get the tone they're looking for out of them. So they went back to the originals, but that's electric, which is a different story. Guitarists tell me it's a combination of all 3, the amp/head your using, the type of speaker, and what type of enclosure it's in, play an important role in the tone. But thats electric.

So using something like a EV 12L or a JBL E120 for an acoustical or "natural sounding" insturment should work out pretty good since there to "clean sounding" of a speaker as electric guitarists have said.

Just look at how many different speakers Eminence makes just for there guitar line alone.

Re: Winter projects. What's everybody working on? [message #4551 is a reply to message #4545] Tue, 25 September 2007 14:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BarryS is currently offline  BarryS
Esquire
The current project is a baffle for the Hawthorne Silver Iris and augie. Heard them in Dallas and couldn't resist.

Next will be the 2pi towers. They were coupled with Jef Larson's 2A3 amp at the Dallas show and made a wonderful combo.

Jef's 2A3 is currently powering the Hawthorne's and it is a pretty nice combo, too.

A Pair of "Statement" Speakers [message #4553 is a reply to message #4545] Thu, 27 September 2007 06:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
FredT is currently offline  FredT
Illuminati (1st Degree)
I've completed the Tallerays as my summer project, and now it's time once again to build a "high end" pair of speakers. I found some plans on the internet that have these stated goals: "The speaker has to be able to achieve high SPL’s so it could be used for home theater as well as music. The design had to be extremely dynamic and detailed with a very large soundstage that would excel at recreating the original performance. Placement had to be flexible and not require positioning far away from walls. The top end had to have realistic reproduction of triangles and cymbals while extracting the ambiance of the recording venue. Last but not least, the bass had to be as close to full range as possible with a reasonable size cabinet and still fit into the budget allocated for the project. Finally, we wanted a design that was fairly efficient to minimize amp requirements..."

I was further intrigued when I read the designer owns a pair of Selah Audio line arrays and has said this about how they compare: "My line arrays have been the most detailed speakers I‘ve ever heard until now. The Statements now are my new standard".

The parts have all arrived and I've cut all the panels and routed the driver cutouts and recesses on the front baffles. But I doubt these can be called my "winter project" since the daily high temps in Houston will still be in the 90's when they are completed.

Re: Winter projects. What's everybody working on? [message #4556 is a reply to message #4545] Thu, 27 September 2007 20:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Shane is currently offline  Shane
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Um...

Finish my seemingly never-to-end Darling amp project--need opt's and a chassis.
Millett Hybrid Max headphone amp
Meier Corda Cross 1 xfeed
CK2III headphone amp
Hybrid headphone amp prototyping--sorry, sworn to secrecy!!
ART arrays
Possible 6em7 SE or PP amp.
Possible Tubelab Simple SE EL34 amp.

Re: Winter projects. What's everybody working on? [message #4559 is a reply to message #4545] Fri, 28 September 2007 18:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Epstein is currently offline  Bill Epstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
If some HR clones get off their livid posteriors I'll be moving to N'oth Cahlina in the next weeks. Somewhere either just west of Charlotte or outside of Spartanburg SC. Fastest draw gets the designer.

My married daughter just moved to Asheville. I'll be able to visit her every weekend with a gift-wrapped EPT kit until they finally get the message. I WANT GRANDKIDS!

Don't think I'll be inhaling solder or wood fumes anytime soon.

Re: A Pair of "Statement" Speakers [message #4561 is a reply to message #4553] Sun, 30 September 2007 11:40 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Bill Agee is currently offline  Bill Agee
Chancellor
I've wanted to work the RS225 every since they got high praise from Dennis Murphy, and have had in my mind a WMTMW design. I was glad to see Jim's design and how well it turned out.

I think that, if I don't build the Statements, I will work out a simmilar design using paper mids (Seas MCA15RCY possibly) and a silk dome tweeter. My wife may have other plans however, as she loved Danny's Alpha LS's and is leaning towards my building the LS-6 or LS-9 project.

Keep us posted on the progress.

Bill

Previous Topic: Zenith Mod. CV 5000 info?
Next Topic: Help with my car audio
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Apr 28 09:56:28 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout