Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Up-grading Theater 4s? Wayne?
Up-grading Theater 4s? Wayne? [message #45436] Fri, 24 September 2004 12:14 Go to next message
Garland garland is currently offline  Garland garland
Chancellor
I don't mean up-grading Wayne but I want to pose a question to you and you-all:

Is it at all possible to swap in another 15" or 18" driver in my Theater 4s to 1) gain a bit more efficiency and 2) to gain a bit more transparency/ detail. I don't care as much about bass extension but do want to enhance the dynamic responce, both macro and micro. I was looking at the new Eminence specs and it seems the Delta 15 is not as efficient as was once thought though they list the Kappa 15" models and the Kappa pro 15" as more efficient and more in line with the design goals of the Theater 4. I'm guessing this has been hash about here before but what advice can you give on this subject. Id love to be able to re-use my Theater 4 cabinets since I don't have much time anymore for wood working projects.
Thanks for any help on this!

Garland

Re: Up-grading Theater 4s? Wayne? [message #45439 is a reply to message #45436] Fri, 24 September 2004 15:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

One option you have is to use Omega or Kilomax 18's, JBL 2241's or other 18's that work well in cabinets that size. Delta 15's have rising response like most other high efficiency speakers and the large box is needed for bass response. But they are still most efficient in the vocal range. Larger 18's will go deeper and not as high, and so will need a lower crossover point.

May not seem like a big upgrade.... [message #45444 is a reply to message #45436] Sat, 25 September 2004 02:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ToFo is currently offline  ToFo
Master
But I think the delta PRO 15 is a solid candidate for this box. Unless they changed drastically in the last year Kappas don't like big boxes. Delta Pro works with this box, Has depth similar to Delta 15-A(tuned to 33 is my favorite), and is easy to drive. Bass may not be real important to you, but most hot 15's can't do lower than 50. Delta Pro has same output as the 15-a at 30Hz a bit less bass aroud 100 and sounds a bit more muscular overall. The smoother response above 800 sound right up your alley too. Compare the frequeny response plots and boxplots for a general clue. It sounds about what you would expect from the modelling and response data. I think Bill Epstein also has these so you might ping him on this if you are interrested.
Thomas

Re: Up-grading Theater 4s? Wayne? [message #45445 is a reply to message #45436] Sat, 25 September 2004 08:17 Go to previous message
Russellc is currently offline  Russellc
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Hello,
Another suggestion is, if the cabinet is large enough (isn't the theatre 4 approaching 8 cu ft ?) is to consider altec 416 8c or 416 8b. Very efficient, over 100 db as I recall. Don't hold me to it, but I think 107. Altec is always resellable on ebay. Opinions vary, I like them.

Russellc

Previous Topic: A word about Eminence quality and warranty
Next Topic: Midhorn depth
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri May 17 01:30:08 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers