Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Re:harshness & sibliance
Re:harshness & sibilance [message #45419 is a reply to message #45417] Thu, 23 September 2004 08:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I thought you had measured them a while back, and everything was right. So I think we can remove that from consideration.

Do you think you may have blown anything? Or do you think it is a characteristic that you're just starting to notice? Have you tried isolating it any further, like by removing frequency bands with EQ or by disconnecting and removing or replacing things?

Re: All movies? [message #45420 is a reply to message #45416] Thu, 23 September 2004 08:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GarMan is currently offline  GarMan
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
James,

I asked because most audio content in movies are processed and synthesised more than the meat you find in baloney. In some movies, the audio track is completed stripped from the footage and recreated in computers. And you know what happens when you have poor content and revealing speakers...

But from the sounds of it, the problem is consistent across all movies. I'd probably check your connections and soldering inside the speakers. A month ago, I had a poor connection with the horn tweeter. Low frequency pressure from the woofer caused the connection to vibrate which in turn introduced a buzz in the HF.

Gar.

Re:harshness & sibilance [message #45421 is a reply to message #45419] Thu, 23 September 2004 08:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
James W. Johnson is currently offline  James W. Johnson
Master
Really I have done all there is to do at this point, if there is nothing wrong with my crossovers then this is just how they sound.

Its been there all along and I just now noticed.

Its time to build another speaker is all.

Over and out.

Another thought [message #45422 is a reply to message #45416] Thu, 23 September 2004 08:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GarMan is currently offline  GarMan
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
In HT, almost all dialogue comes from the center channel speaker. I'd rotate your speakers around a bit to see if the problem is with the channel or the speaker.

Re:harshness & sibilance [message #45424 is a reply to message #45421] Thu, 23 September 2004 12:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
LAL is currently offline  LAL
Baron
James,
I have Stage 4 Pi's along with other speakers with which to compare them. My Pi's are not siblant or harsh on voices. As matter of fact they are to me surprizingly good at voice reproduction. One thing I have found out over the years is that when you listen to reproduced music you are hearing the sum total of all that went in to its reproduction, not just the speakers. Siblance can have it source in the Cds and DVDs you play, it can be affected by your cabling, by the rack you use, by the way you couple your components to the rack, by your room, by speaker placement, and also your speakers themselves. I would not assume your problems are necessarily with your speakers.
My 4 Pi's sound much better by placing them away from room corners and a foot or two off the floor. I suggest you try this. If your room is rectangular you might try them on the long wall instead of the short wall. You might also take a serious look at accoustical room treatment. The room itself can be the major factor in how your system ultimately sounds. One way to find out if it is the speakers or the room is take your speakers outside and play them there away from room interference and see how they sound on some good cds with male and female voices. If they sound ok there then it is not your speakers and it is probably your room or speaker placement in the room.In your pictures its appears to me that you have a narrow room with the speakers on the floor near corners. If this is so it is a near guarantee that they are not going to sound particularly good. Why don't you try bringing your 2 Pi's from the rear using them as left and right speakers and use one of 4 Pi's as a true center channel speaker and see how it handles dialog in a new position(and if possible raise it off the floor a foot or so).
I find that using a separate center channel speaker sounds better than using only the left and right with a simulated center channel. My experience is that using a single 4 Pi and a pair smaller left and right speakers produces a much better result than a left and right pair of 4 Pi's without any separate center speaker. My Stage 4 Pi does a spectacular job as a dedicated center channel speaker. Before I'd set out building another pair of speakers I would take a long look at speaker placement and room treatment.

Re:harshness & sibliance [message #45429 is a reply to message #45415] Thu, 23 September 2004 20:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Does the AV reciever have some kind of eq. for ambiance, hall/concert that kind of thing? I have noticed on my Theater 4's certain settings can exacerbate those qualities. Thats all I am up to; I realise you probably already have that covered but just a thought.

Re:harshness & sibilance [message #45452 is a reply to message #45424] Sat, 25 September 2004 18:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
I'd would like to add if you access the Pi site for floor treatment Wayne has a procedure for sistering the floor joists. It is very methodical and specific and I reccommend it to anyone with wood floors.

Re: All movies? [message #45462 is a reply to message #45420] Mon, 27 September 2004 09:26 Go to previous message
James W. Johnson is currently offline  James W. Johnson
Master
Well I have tested more and its really only a few movies ...it may well be that these speakers are revealing less than perfect recordings and as much testing as I have done over the last few days I am almost 95% sure this is it.
These speakers simply tell the truth and nothing but the truth.

Previous Topic: Anyone use a diferent tweeter for the studio 2?
Next Topic: Pi 2 question
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun May 12 09:33:11 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout