Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Re:harshness & sibliance
Re:harshness & sibliance [message #45406] Wed, 22 September 2004 15:53 Go to next message
James W. Johnson is currently offline  James W. Johnson
Master
repost, Wayne has already replied to me via email but I want some more opinions.
>>>>>>>>>>>>

Wayne & all,
recently I have dectected a certain amount of sibliance when the Stage 4 Pis are used for dialogue in a movie...really I am surprised I just now noticed it. The sibliance sort of makes the
voices sound harsh as well.
What can be done?

thanks

Re:harshness & sibilance [message #45407 is a reply to message #45406] Wed, 22 September 2004 18:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Like I said in the E-mail, you will want to try to isolate the problem. Find out what frequency seems to be over-represented using whatever tools are at your disposal. A process of elimination might help find the cause too. Then, you'll be in a better position to know what to do to solve it. You may find that a touch of midrange EQ in the overtone region might be all you need. Or it may even be a simple matter of changing settings on the DVD player.

If you think your speakers are at fault, you might check your tweeter compensation network. It looked alright to me from the photos, but it wouldn't hurt to double-check. It affects the vocal overtone region of the response curve, so if it's not right, vocals will sound raspy and harsh. The vocal fundamentals come from the midwoofer. I think the Omega 15 does a fine job in this regard, but you can also try some JBL 2226's. Another option you might consider is adding a midhorn with one of the 10" drivers.

All movies? [message #45408 is a reply to message #45406] Wed, 22 September 2004 20:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GarMan is currently offline  GarMan
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Hi James,

Out of curiosity, is this problem consistent with all movies or just some? Do you hear the same thing when you play a music CD with dialogue?

Re:harshness & sibilance [message #45409 is a reply to message #45407] Wed, 22 September 2004 20:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Master
I am pretty sure the crossover is right, would you look again please.

Re:harshness & sibilance [message #45412 is a reply to message #45409] Wed, 22 September 2004 21:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Looks right to me. You've done a good job of capturing the circuit with a photo, but it's still hard to tell. You measured it with a DVM though, didn't you?

Re:harshness & sibliance [message #45413 is a reply to message #45406] Thu, 23 September 2004 05:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Are you playing the speakers through your AV reciever?

Re:harshness & sibliance [message #45415 is a reply to message #45413] Thu, 23 September 2004 06:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Master
I am not sure where you are going with this but yes.

Re: All movies? [message #45416 is a reply to message #45408] Thu, 23 September 2004 06:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Master
Probably some would be the better description but now that I noticed it the number will probably increase.
Id say not with CDs but again now that I noticed it I probably with hear it.

Ive tried different DVD players
Ive tried different amps
Ive tried going straight analog thru from the DVD analog outs
Ive tried using what little EQ is available on my pre-amp

Equipment:

Aragon Soundstage Pre-amp
Parasound 1500A amp
Parasound 2003 amp
All Audioquest Interconnects
Monster wire (forget the model...its not basic 12awg though)

Chapter 9 of Star Wars IV A New Hope is an excellent example, both Luke and C3PO's voices exhibit this sort of buzzing noise around their voices.

Re:harshness & sibilance [message #45417 is a reply to message #45412] Thu, 23 September 2004 06:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Master
Yes I measured the actually tweeter and woofer circuits with a DMM.

The pic here shows how they are laid out.

Re:harshness & sibliance [message #45418 is a reply to message #45415] Thu, 23 September 2004 07:01 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Master
link to system specs..

Previous Topic: Anyone use a diferent tweeter for the studio 2?
Next Topic: Pi 2 question
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon May 13 04:01:11 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout