Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Is Pi for me
Re: 4 pi stage [message #45207 is a reply to message #45193] Tue, 17 August 2004 21:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Martinelli is currently offline  Bill Martinelli
Illuminati (1st Degree)

Of course, Pi speakers are for anyone who loves music and likes to build things themselves.

The 4pi stage is the most versatile of the line up in my book. The size is manageable and the sound is big. It's capable of being explicatory and pictorial With a large soundstage and the dynamics that only a horn tweeter and low distortion cone drivers can offer you.

I suggest the 4 pi stage angled back if on the floor, or better yet placed on a small stand of 10"-14"

Cant beat the component cost with the kits and there are endless possibilities to build them in just the fashion your looking for.

Bill

Re: Is Pi for me [message #45208 is a reply to message #45203] Tue, 17 August 2004 22:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gumby1 is currently offline  gumby1
Viscount
Pokey1,
I answered your query in the SET thread you referenced.

Re: Is Pi for me [message #45209 is a reply to message #45206] Wed, 18 August 2004 03:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oscarl is currently offline  Oscarl
Chancellor
Thanks, I will give it a try

Re: Is Pi for me [message #45211 is a reply to message #45205] Wed, 18 August 2004 11:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
James W. Johnson is currently offline  James W. Johnson
Master
Will do.
they are going to be basic, I am going to paint them the same grey as the walls or just plain black. The goal with these is to blend them in as much as possible because I may build two more and run 2 per side.

4 Pi Theater vs Stage vs Premium vs Thermionic [message #45213 is a reply to message #45207] Wed, 18 August 2004 13:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Tightwad is currently offline  Tightwad
Baron
Setting aside the issue of cabinet size for the moment . . . .

The theater 4 pi (and thermionic) has significantly more bass extension, at least according to Wayne's specs.

Am curious if the theater (or thermionic) series might be preferable for relatively low-level domestic use, because of this extra extension, or am I missing something?

Consider also that I currently use a gainclone, might be moving to SET in the future.

Re: 4 Pi Theater vs Stage vs Premium vs Thermionic [message #45215 is a reply to message #45213] Wed, 18 August 2004 15:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
elektratig is currently offline  elektratig
Grand Master
Tightwad,

I know that Wayne has repeatedly advised that the Theater 4 is the best match for low-power amps and SETs in particular. I suspect that's one reason why the Theater 4s are so popular -- many are using that combination.

It works for me!

Re: 4 Pi Theater vs Stage vs Premium vs Thermionic [message #45216 is a reply to message #45213] Wed, 18 August 2004 15:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
James W. Johnson is currently offline  James W. Johnson
Master
Id imagine that alot of things can factor into what speakers might work best for each person.
The Stage Series 4 Pi have plenty of bass in my room enough that they can handle music by themselves.

My room is small the the speakers are only a foot out from the wall so bass gain is huge, the Stages are nearly perfect for me in every way.

Re: 4 Pi Theater vs Stage vs Premium vs Thermionic [message #45217 is a reply to message #45213] Wed, 18 August 2004 16:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Martinelli is currently offline  Bill Martinelli
Illuminati (1st Degree)

Having heard and listened to all the models in question with both solid state amps and tube amps. I maintain the following opinion.
You get what you pay for.
I'm not going to say that the Thermionic or Theatre series is bad in any respect. I'm simply saying the more expensive drivers sound more controlled and cleaner to the ears than the less expensive drivers.
You cant always pay attention to the specifications. There are lots of speakers around the world that have the same specs (of 40hz-16k for example). Each and every one sounds different even though the spec is the same. Along the same line as that thought comes my next opine, that even though the Theatre series shows a lower bass response, I'm saying the the bass response from a Stage series is "better bass"

I've never had any difficulties playing any of these models with smaller amps. Even though the Zmax reaches to just over a hundred on the Stage and Premium stage (pro for that matter too) The amp is less able to control the driver, but the driver is less boomy and more controlled already. So is the control factor a wash? I doubt it and I'm not going to do the math to figure it out. But, They all sound great and since I dont try and play a "concert level" with a SET amp. I don't have any problems and I have always felt the better sounds came from the better drivers such as the Premium Stage, and the Stage.

Lots of guys have built different kits and packages and are quite happy with what they have. And they should be, they all sound great.
If you want to run a 2A3 or a 45. It is going to sound fine. You just have less headroom and with a 45 and total output will be as such. From building and listening to each and every one of these models. My top picks are the 4 Pi, Premium stage or Stage.

Ciao,

Re: Is Pi for me [message #45218 is a reply to message #45209] Wed, 18 August 2004 16:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gumby1 is currently offline  gumby1
Viscount
Oscar,
Ask Wayne for the list of capacitors he recommends. You may find one other than the one that I used to meet your needs.

Re: 4 Pi Theater vs Stage vs Premium vs Thermionic [message #45219 is a reply to message #45217] Wed, 18 August 2004 17:05 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Tightwad is currently offline  Tightwad
Baron
Thanks for your honest (and detailed) response. I appreciate it.

Previous Topic: woofers for sub horn
Next Topic: How much power can my 4 pi premium take?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri May 10 08:52:45 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio