Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Speaking of Pro Amps
Speaking of Pro Amps [message #45135] Fri, 30 July 2004 17:20 Go to next message
elektratig is currently offline  elektratig
Grand Master
, which I nothing about. I have a 16 yr. old nephew who's really, really dying for an amplifier (he has an old stereo receiver w/ pre outs). Unfortunately (from my perspective), he's at that age where power (watts, baby!) is everything, and I'm not going to convince him otherwise. (I keep telling him that my "cool" amps put out 8W, but it has no effect.) I assume a pro amp is the cheapest way to go to get a high power amp (c. 200W?). Whether pro or amateur, does anyone have any suggestions for a reasonably-priced (and hopefully decent-sounding) amp in the 150 - 200W range?

Thanks in advance.

Re: Speaking of Pro Amps [message #45136 is a reply to message #45135] Fri, 30 July 2004 17:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Martinelli is currently offline  Bill Martinelli
Illuminati (1st Degree)

Depends what you think reasonably is.

Take a look at a Mackie M800. I think its one of the better sounding machines out there and priced better than most.

Re: Speaking of Pro Amps [message #45140 is a reply to message #45135] Sat, 31 July 2004 12:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Brad Kizer is currently offline  Brad Kizer
Chancellor
My uncle turned me on to high end audio back in the 70's when I was 15 or 16 years old. That's cool. What is he using for speakers? SPL? How large is his listening area? What I'm getting at is if his bedroom is his listening area I question the need for anything much over 100w. Now if his parents have "regulated" his system to the garage or a large basement area by all means go with the big power. I destroyed a good number of amps and speakers when I was a kid (basement and later they moved me to the garage) because I simply didn't have enough power. You most likely have taken all of this into account because I've seen your posts in various forums. But if not it's something to consider.

You guys are going to laugh but when I visited Randy Slone (Seal Electronics) in 6/04 he had a Pyramid 150w amp hooked up to a pair of Electrovoice pro audio speakers that sounded pretty good for the money.

Brad

We're Not Talking Rational Here! [message #45141 is a reply to message #45140] Sat, 31 July 2004 17:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Grand Master
You're absolutely right. There's no question -- he doesn't need the power, and probably can't use it, but we're not dealing with a rational mind, but rather that of a 16 year old kid, and a young one at that (very bright but not sophisticated). He's heard my 300Bs and knows how loud 8W can be. I played him a 100W amp and nearly blew him out the room (w/ my Pi 2 towers). Didn't phase him one bit.

I have some sympathy. Although now I think 8W is plenty for most applications, the first piece of "high end" gear I ever bought was a 250W Acurus amp. Don't tell anyone.

Re: We're Not Talking Rational Here! [message #45142 is a reply to message #45141] Sat, 31 July 2004 22:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chancellor
It's nice to see I'm not alone. I have the same situation with my wife's 15 year old. He too is of the bigger is better mentality.

Please take a look at the link provided below. Most every pro audio amp discussed on this thread is listed here.

I'm sure we would all be interested to hear what your nephew ends up with so please keep us informed.

Re: Speaking of Power [message #45143 is a reply to message #45140] Sat, 31 July 2004 22:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
James W. Johnson is currently offline  James W. Johnson
Master
You guys with your 2 watt tube amps need to hear a solid 400-500 wpc SS amp on your speakers , 200 wpc amps are smallish in the pro audio world. Big amps are not just for listening to loud music, there is something to be said about the wonderful sonics that can be had with the right combination of high power amp and speakers.

Re: Speaking of Power [message #45144 is a reply to message #45143] Sun, 01 August 2004 07:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chancellor
Without a doubt James. I agree the sound presentation of a high power pro audio amp is totally different from any tube or audiophile SS amp. My only problem with "some" of the pro audio amp manufacturers of today is their grossly exaggerated power ratings. One look at their power supplies (transformer ratings and reservoir capacitance) will tell you part of what any amplifier is made of with the circuit topologies being equal. But this is the Pi Speaker forum so I'll close here.

Re: Speaking of Pro Amps [message #45145 is a reply to message #45135] Sun, 01 August 2004 10:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chris R is currently offline  Chris R
Master
More of a test post at this point, but check out the Behringer
EP1500 and EP2500. $300-$400, 1500W, 2400W total each. They
are rated by a live sound pro friend of mine I trust as decent.
Chris

Thanks, Guys! [message #45160 is a reply to message #45135] Wed, 04 August 2004 15:45 Go to previous message
Grand Master
I wound up ordering a Behringer EP-1500 from zZounds.com. Incredibly, I placed the order over the internet Monday, it shipped Tuesday and arrived at the recipient's house today (Wednesday) -- and that's with the "free shipping" option!

I just received an excited call; I think he's on his way to Radio Shack as I write to get some RCA-to-1/4" plug adapters.

Previous Topic: Old style loudspeakers
Next Topic: Pi sevens in a big room
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 30 06:33:48 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout