Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Bottlehead tube amps/preamps?
Bottlehead tube amps/preamps? [message #45063] Mon, 26 July 2004 11:54 Go to next message
Adam is currently offline  Adam
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Just wondering what their website is (I have lost it) and what everyone's opinions are of their products.

Adam

Re: Bottlehead tube amps/preamps? [message #45064 is a reply to message #45063] Mon, 26 July 2004 16:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Tightwad is currently offline  Tightwad
Baron

First, I should scold you for not googling "bottlead", as the company's web site is the very first link that shows up.

I use a Bottlehead Foreplay pre-amp, with a homebrew gainclone power amp (see photo). I am very happy with it.

I think they make great kits. Many people use their SET kits with Pi speakers --> the high efficiency of Pi kits, especially 3pi and bigger, makes them very suitable for SET, either 2A3 or 300B. The thermionic series is specifically designed for tube amps, although I've seen Wayne recommending the theater series as well.

Re: Here's something to think about........... [message #45065 is a reply to message #45064] Mon, 26 July 2004 18:12 Go to previous message
BillEpstein is currently offline  BillEpstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
A very knowledgeable friend happened to have on hand a highly reviewed and expensive $2500 retail pre-amp. With Shallco 42 step attenuator, no less! Wanted an opinion on the sound. I said right off the mids, especially the lower mids sounded muffled. We switched around horns and drivers. Same basic character.
I had brought along my Foreplay pre-amp. Have to make a short story long.:) This Foreplay was constructed, no, resurrected from my parts box. It has $2 alpha pots, a mixed bag of resistors and is mostly wired with $4 for 3 spools Radio Shack wire. It does have Auricap output caps. As well as the High Voltage and filament snubbers.
We hooked it up and I kept a poker face. Finally, he turned to me and said, "That Bottlehead thing blows it away!" It was true. Airier, more detail, focused image, etc.
The circuit is everything and this circuit, with the snubbers, is genius. Sure wish the power supply on the Paramours was cleaner....

Previous Topic: Love my Pi 3 speakers
Next Topic: alpha 10
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri May 10 16:04:53 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout