Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Driver Is Blown :(
Driver Is Blown :( [message #45027] Wed, 21 July 2004 12:03 Go to next message
Fresno is currently offline  Fresno
Baron
I made the Pi 2 tower about 2 years ago and one of the drivers has blown. I'm not sure what blew it, it is probably one of these 3 things:

1. Digital Clicking - Sometimes untranslated DVD clicking made it through to the speakers.

2. The RCA tube amp/preamp that I hooked up to the speakers was not a perfect fit and it ruined the speakers.

3. My son plays a lot of base-heavy music, and I'm sure very loud when I'm not home.

But anyway, I want to replace the (10") drivers. I could just replace them with the same drivers as before, but I'd like to know what my options are. How would a bigger (12") driver do in the same box? What would I do with the piezo electric tweeter?

Is there a different 10" driver that would do better?

I know Wayne specifically designed the box for this speaker combo, but do I have any options?

Thanks in advance.

FWIW - I've included a link to my speaker pic.

http://www.pispeakers.com/DIY/Steve_Nash_Tower_two_Pi.jpg

Thanks James W Johnson for linking to it!

Re: Driver Is Blown :( [message #45028 is a reply to message #45027] Wed, 21 July 2004 13:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
James W. Johnson is currently offline  James W. Johnson
Master
I made the Pi 2 tower about 2 years ago and one of the drivers has blown>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

If it makes you feel any better I blew 3 woofer in 6 months on my Klipsch Reference series speaker that I just sold. (good ridence too!)

I blew at least 10 tweeters on my Adire Kit 281s over the course of 3 or 4 years.

Maybe its time you step up to something a little beefier , I am sure your Son would appreciate it as well! :-)

Base-Heavy [message #45029 is a reply to message #45028] Wed, 21 July 2004 14:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Baron
Ha! Should have been "bass-heavy", but, I think it is very "base" music anyway.

Couple of Upgrade Options [message #45030 is a reply to message #45027] Wed, 21 July 2004 15:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GarMan is currently offline  GarMan
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Fresno,

One option for upgrade would be to convert the Towers into a pair of Theater Three's. The volume between the Towers and the Three's are close enough and I'm sure your son would appreciate the improvements in the bass. The port will need to be resized. However, whether a 12" driver will fit on your baffle will depend on the location of your internal braces. Also, if you followed Wayne's intructions for baffle cutout on the Towers, you might be short about 1/2" for the compression horns. I know because I've tried.

Gar.

Re: Driver Is Blown :( [message #45035 is a reply to message #45027] Wed, 21 July 2004 16:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
If it were me, I'd stay with the Alpha 10. You might be right that power was exceeded, maybe by cranking the bass. But we could sure send them back to Eminence and see if they will warranty them.

If the speaker was used outside its limits, Eminence won't warranty it. But maybe they would examine it and find something else, you never know. So we'd be happy to send it in for a warranty claim if you'd like.

Re: Base-Heavy [message #45036 is a reply to message #45029] Wed, 21 July 2004 17:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Warrantee? [message #45040 is a reply to message #45035] Wed, 21 July 2004 20:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Baron
How long is the warrantee on those puppies? I think I got them last summer. What is the procedure for returning them? Since only 1 is blown I'd want 2 new ones to avoid a mismatch.

I was using a 35 WPC push pull tube amp, the bass was a bit boomy on some of my CD's but not most. His music cracked the foundation of the house next door :)

**Warranty** (nt) [message #45041 is a reply to message #45040] Wed, 21 July 2004 20:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Baron

Re: **Warranty** (nt) [message #45045 is a reply to message #45041] Thu, 22 July 2004 00:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
If I remember correctly, both spellings are correct. As for the matter at hand, just send 'em back to me and I'll send them on to Eminence. If they are able to warranty them, they will.

I'm not sure I'd send the good one though. They won't warranty a good speaker. If there's a factory defect of some kind, you bet they will. But they won't send a matched pair or anything like that. New devices are expected to meet specs, and they are examined by QC but that's the extent of it.

That does bring up an interesting issue though. Just like some people buy tubes in bulk and then test them to provide matched pairs, this could be done with loudspeakers also. Probably best to do it on the expensive devices, since the service would add considerable cost. But it is an interesting idea.

Consideratons [message #45053 is a reply to message #45035] Fri, 23 July 2004 15:56 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Baron
Ok, do I ship it to you or do I ship it to them?

If they don't warrantee/y it, what would be your suggestion regarding going with the 12" (if it fits)? Assuming it would not be the best cabinet for the 12", would the 12" still be better than the 10" for the cabinet?

Would the piezo electric tweater fit well physically and sonically?

Steve

Previous Topic: Pi 2 Towers: How Careful Do I Have to Be?
Next Topic: Finished my Stage Series 4 Pis!
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat May 11 14:57:55 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio