Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » more altec pi issues
more altec pi issues [message #44967] Fri, 16 July 2004 09:06 Go to next message
EZ_Angus is currently offline  EZ_Angus
Chancellor
Ok, I got my circular mini-baffles cut and the hole cut in my front cab panel. now I need to bolt the driver to the baffle and then woodscrew the baffle to the front panel, right?

Do people use rubber or neoprene washers for bolting the drivers?
anyone know where to get black bolts and screws?

It seems like for mounting the (heavy) baffle to the front panel, more screws is better than less (words to live by :^) ) but how many is enough? 8? 12? 16?

EZ

Re: more altec pi issues [message #44968 is a reply to message #44967] Fri, 16 July 2004 12:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Tightwad is currently offline  Tightwad
Baron
I like bolting the drivers to the front baffle. Just a regular metal washer between the nut and the wood.

For attaching the baffle to the enclosure, I would use threaded inserts, if you have enough wood.

In both cases, use locktite (or equivalent).

A reasonable hardware store ought to have black bolts. Ask the dude about it, they might be stashed away somewhere out of sight.

Re: more altec pi issues [message #44969 is a reply to message #44968] Fri, 16 July 2004 14:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
EZ_Angus is currently offline  EZ_Angus
Chancellor
Hi tightwad thanks for your very helpful response. threaded inserts would be great as that would allow for repeated mounting / dismounting without losing the tight connection. my baffle is 3/4" and my front panel is 3/4". I've never used these guys, will it work? any suggestions about size or where to get them? loctite is a great idea. never heard of it before but i looked it up and it stops the connection from loosening? can you still unscrew / unbolt them?

Re: more altec pi issues [message #44970 is a reply to message #44967] Fri, 16 July 2004 15:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
I stock 1" long #8 black wood screws, so let me know if you need 'em and I'll mail you out some.

For sealing purposes, there are a number of different gasket materials you can use. If the joint is two flat surfaces, a cardboard gasket works well and it is easy to install and remove. Silicon and caulking materials form a good seal, but they often stain wood and are harder to clean and remove.

Re: more altec pi issues [message #44971 is a reply to message #44969] Fri, 16 July 2004 16:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Baron
I recently used threaded inserts on a turntable project (see photos). Basically, figure out what size screw/bolt you want, then get the size of threaded insert to match the screw. Test on a piece of scrap first, make sure you're drilling the right sized hole. Again, the hardware store ought to have them. The detail photo shows one of them, albeit blurry.

Loctite is a liquid that dries to rubber-like consistency, whenever you have metal-to-metal contact it helps prevent loosening due to vibration. The medium-strength stuff unscrews pretty easily, it's not permanent.

Best of luck with your project. I'll bet it will sound fantastic.

BTW . . . [message #44972 is a reply to message #44971] Fri, 16 July 2004 16:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Baron
The discoloration around the threaded insert is NOT from the insert, but because I mounted the turntable before the shellac had dried sufficiently.

Re: more altec pi issues [message #44974 is a reply to message #44968] Fri, 16 July 2004 16:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Matts is currently offline  Matts
Grand Master
I like using these threaded inserts too. I use them with black hex-head machine bolts- they have a small head that fits into the speaker nicely and is very unobtrusive, but cool and industrial looking if look at it closely. LOTS of options, though, if you find a good old-fashioned hardware store.

Re: more altec pi issues [message #44975 is a reply to message #44974] Fri, 16 July 2004 16:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Baron

Yup, those little black allen bolts are cool, I use 'em too.

If you don't have a removable side, getting to the nuts on the back can be a bit of a pain, though. On my small fullrangers, I need to get at them through the top-firing vent.

Re: more altec pi issues [message #44976 is a reply to message #44975] Fri, 16 July 2004 16:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Matts is currently offline  Matts
Grand Master
your setup looks good! I use the threaded inserts in the wood instead of nuts for those hex-head bolts. I have a hardware store handy that sells them with wood threads on the outside and machine threads on the inside.

Re: more altec pi issues [message #44978 is a reply to message #44975] Fri, 16 July 2004 16:55 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
That's a great looking setup! Whatcha have there?

Previous Topic: pialign.exe and XP
Next Topic: Theater 4pi Plans
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu May 09 18:18:50 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout