Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » what to do about subwoofer
what to do about subwoofer [message #44902] Fri, 09 July 2004 18:01 Go to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
I have a pair of Pi4's and I am on the list for the new Eminence subwoofer with the big shortng rings. The Theater 4's may not go super low but the bass they have is huge and plenty of it. Whether or not I can hear deeper bass is open to question. I have in my home theater rig a Polk 650 which is a 15" 250 watt sub that supposedly reaches below 30cycles. I tried it with the 4's and did not hear much difference with the xover point on the sub set to 40hz. Now I have a living room that I could use for a nice system. So I am thinking Pi 3's with the sub. I would need an amp and since I am on the review list for the Stoekit that certainly would be a consideration. Here's my question. Anyone have an opinion on Pi3 with sub driven by the Stoekit? This system would be CD only. Thanks,J.R.

Re: what to do about subwoofer [message #44903 is a reply to message #44902] Fri, 09 July 2004 21:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
James W. Johnson is currently offline  James W. Johnson
Master
What is a Stoekit? In my opinion any speaker that does not go into the low 30Hz range somewhat flatly in room can benefit from a subwoofer to some degree...that would pretty much mean most speakers.

Re: what to do about subwoofer [message #44904 is a reply to message #44902] Sat, 10 July 2004 00:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Until Eminence gets the B12 ready, I'm most fond of the JBL 2245 for subwoofer duty. The 2235 is nice too, and it can be used in a smaller cabinet. The JBL 1500 subwoofer looks like it might be nice, but I'm note sure if you can get them anymore. You might consider the Magnum 18LF as well.

As for the Stoetkit, you're on the list and will be able to check it out "up close and personal." It didn't have any trouble driving the Omega 15, which is not the easiest load for a low power tube amp. So I think you can expect it to work well with any of the above mentiond speakers too.

Re: what to do about subwoofer [message #44905 is a reply to message #44903] Sat, 10 July 2004 00:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
The Stoetkit is a little 8 watt tube amp that FSAudio is offering to AudioRoundTable.com participants at a special rate. Click on the link to learn more about the amp and my impressions of it. There are also some links within the page that tell more about the FSAudio offer, so click on them to find prices and what not if you're interested.

Re: what to do about subwoofer [message #44906 is a reply to message #44904] Sat, 10 July 2004 12:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Hi Wayne; Thanks for answering. What I really need to know is this; does the combo of Pi 3 work with 20 watts of tube push-pull and would it benefit greatly with a subwoofer as the foundation. My point was the Pi4's In my opinion don't require a sub. but are large. The Pi3's are smaller and more realistic for a smaller room and might benefir from a sub. Since I wish to become involved with the new Pi sub. I thought that might make a good combo for a smaller room. The question is does the Pi 3 work well with low power tube amps? I have Altec 421's that make good subs, but I like the idea of an all Pi system.

disregard the above post [message #44907 is a reply to message #44906] Sat, 10 July 2004 17:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Please excuse the above post. I was looking so far back in the archives for this info I completely failed to notice the info right under my nose. Thanks.

Not really an answer, but... [message #44913 is a reply to message #44902] Sun, 11 July 2004 08:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ToFo is currently offline  ToFo
Master
after reading this thread I thought this might be or some worth.

Having built both 3Pi and 4Pi theaters I think what you have planned could work well. I do think I should mention that the 3Pi does not come off like the 4's little brother. The 3 is smaller, like Bruce Lee! If you feel the 4's don't need a sub, you may find the same with the 3's, but it is nice to build speakers that will work without a sub as the times and systems change. The bottom two octaves of both systems are very close and equally deep. If anything it is the midbass and lower mids where the 4Pi is a bit stronger. In a smaller room the 3 could equal or better the 4 in a big room. I wouldn't care which I had for 95% of my listening.

Thomas

I can't see. Please show the way (nt) [message #44933 is a reply to message #44907] Sun, 11 July 2004 21:12 Go to previous message
GarMan is currently offline  GarMan
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
nt

Previous Topic: 4 Pi Stage Series finally under way.
Next Topic: You gotta see these! :-P
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri May 10 06:44:52 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout