Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » You guys and your big PI's...
You guys and your big PI's... [message #44932] Sun, 11 July 2004 21:09 Go to next message
GarMan is currently offline  GarMan
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
With all this talk about 8PI and 4PI, I just want to comment on how great my little One-PI's are. I always find myself drawn back to them. Just spent an entire evening running my CD's throught the pair. There's no one thing that stands out with these speakers, but very good around and very very easy to listen to. These are so easy and in expensive to put together too. Y'all got to try one.

I did replace the tweeters with a pair of APT80 this weekend though. This is where Wayne and I might disagree the necessity on this mod, but to me, it's worth money. The APT tweeters never get much mention on this board, but they sound very nice with both the Alpha8 and Alpha10.

You know what would be a neat project? Stretch the One-PI's to a mini-tower at 30" tall and you'll get f3 in the mid 40's.

Gar.

Re: You guys and your big PI's... [message #44935 is a reply to message #44932] Sun, 11 July 2004 21:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wasteh202 is currently offline  wasteh202
Master
Do you loose any sensitivity with the APT80 ? I am very curious about this tweeter and very interested, as I am not crazy about the KSN1038.

Thanks...

Re: You guys and your big PI's... [message #44940 is a reply to message #44935] Mon, 12 July 2004 16:50 Go to previous message
GarMan is currently offline  GarMan
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
No loss of sensitivity. In fact, you'd have to pad down the APT80 because it's over 10dB more sensitive than the Alpha8. You can use a standard B.worth 3rd order hi-pass @3.5KHz, but I found the values below works well:

C1: 3.3uF
L1: 2.5mH
C2: 5.7uF

4 ohm resistors for both L-pad resistors

The figures give you a 3rd order drop at 3.5KHz, 10dB attenuation, AND compensation for the 3dB roll-off of the APT80 in the top octave. (At least that's what SPICE predicts.) Sounds good too. I've tried it with a 13dB attenuation, but sounded too dark to me.

I have the 0.5mH coil in the path of the woofer, but would like to try a 0.25mH. Oh ya, connect the tweeter in reverse.

Gar.

Previous Topic: You gotta see these! :-P
Next Topic: The Kits
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu May 09 15:19:07 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers