Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Displacement by Horn and Driver?
Displacement by Horn and Driver? [message #44823] Fri, 25 June 2004 14:00 Go to next message
GarMan is currently offline  GarMan
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Hi Wayne,

Wondering if you've done any rough calculations in terms of how much volume is displaced by the midrange horn and Alpha10 driver.

For example, if I insert the horn and driver into a 6 cubic ft box, how much volume would I be left with?

BTW, I noticed that you specify 5.5 ft^3 for the 8PI. Is there a reason why you increased the volume by a square foot over the 2PI Towers?

thanks,
Gar.

Re: Displacement by Horn and Driver? [message #44824 is a reply to message #44823] Fri, 25 June 2004 14:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently online  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
There's a handy little program called "volume.exe" in the PiAlign distibution file that calculates volumes of various primitive shapes. You can approximate an object using a construction of solid primitive shapes. For example, a loudspeaker cone might be approximated using a cone for the basket and a cylinder for the magnet.

Re: Displacement by Horn and Driver? [message #44825 is a reply to message #44824] Fri, 25 June 2004 17:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GarMan is currently offline  GarMan
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Wayne, does the 5.5 ft^3 you specified for the 8PI include or exclude the volume displaced by the horn and driver?

Re: Displacement by Horn and Driver? [message #44827 is a reply to message #44825] Sat, 26 June 2004 00:39 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently online  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Hi Gar,

The volume displaced by the midhorn and driver is subtracted from inner volume. I used the CSG technique I described earlier for calculating offsets.

Wayne

Previous Topic: eight π plans
Next Topic: Curious about Chip Amps?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat May 11 14:17:07 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers