Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Midhorn kits
Midhorn kits [message #44769] Thu, 17 June 2004 09:28 Go to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Please forgive my lack of modesty, but I just have to say something. I see a lot of great projects, and I don't hesitate to mention the cool stuff when I see it. So I would be remiss to overlook Bill Martinelli's woodworking on the horn kits. These π midhorns will really take your breath away.

I just took delivery on a batch of π midhorns, and I couldn't resist but to peek inside before shipping them out. They're cherry, both in wood stock and in quality and appearance. I gotta say they're just beautiful, really "cherry." Great woodworking, with sharp, perfect angled cuts. Beautiful wood grain, just gorgeous. And nice packaging too. These midhorn kits are sweet.

It's not very modest of me to say, I know, but really the credit goes to Martinelli. To bad all these are spoken for, 'cause I'd like to keep them. But there's more where they came from.

Pics? [message #44770 is a reply to message #44769] Thu, 17 June 2004 09:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GarMan is currently offline  GarMan
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Come on Wayne. Take them out and snap a couple of photos.

Re: Midhorn kits [message #44771 is a reply to message #44769] Thu, 17 June 2004 10:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
DaveJ is currently offline  DaveJ
Esquire
I'm running a set of Bill's 800Hz horns made from Padauk with a PSD-2002 compression driver and a Eminence Kappa Pro 12A woofer as a "smallish" 2-way.

The woodworking is gorgeous as stated by Wayne and the Paduak has a very nice look to it. It think eventually it's going to wind up sitting on a gloss black woofer cabinet, should make a nice contrast.

As for the sound, the Woodhorn and the 2002 driver make a sweet combo. I think I'm set for awhile on the speaker front.

DaveJ

Re: Pics? [message #44775 is a reply to message #44770] Thu, 17 June 2004 10:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
These are already on their way. There's a photo of the midhorns on the shopping cart and in the various forum posts, but it's hard to capture the detail in low-res computer shots.

Re: Pics? [message #44776 is a reply to message #44775] Thu, 17 June 2004 10:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GarMan is currently offline  GarMan
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
I'd like to make a request for some shots of Bill's horn from the side and back.

Re: Pics? [message #44778 is a reply to message #44775] Thu, 17 June 2004 11:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chris R is currently offline  Chris R
Master
Hey, I have this fancy new 5mp camera, and I'd be happy to make a
nice photo array of these things. Just send them out and I'll get
right to it. Might take a few weeks, but hey, I'm doing it for
nothing...

Oh, I wasn't supposed to try them out? Oops! Sorry.

Re: Pics? [message #44780 is a reply to message #44776] Thu, 17 June 2004 13:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
I'll see about getting some photos for you. I made photos of the side and back when I made the prototypes, but didn't post them. Now I can't find them so I must have deleted them. They look just like the rendered images. But I'll make sure and get some new photos for you.

Re: Midhorn kits [message #44781 is a reply to message #44771] Thu, 17 June 2004 13:29 Go to previous message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
I'm pretty fond of the 17" horn Bill makes too. We developed it together, and I think it's pretty special. I've always been impressed with Bill's choice to use a billet throat and mount, having an O-ring seal for the compression driver. It's something that really sets them apart from others, in my opinion, and the wood craftmanship is very nice as well. As you might guess, I'm fond of using them in a simple two-way configuration like you have done too.

Previous Topic: SUB BASS vintage 4818
Next Topic: Distortion specs for loudspeakers...
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat May 11 04:52:46 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio