Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » what speaker for 2a3 tube amp?
what speaker for 2a3 tube amp? [message #44586] Sat, 08 May 2004 17:17 Go to next message
Thor Innbjor is currently offline  Thor Innbjor
Esquire
Using the pi product kit,which combination would be good. I intend to build my own cabinets.

thanks, Thor

Re: what 2a3 tube amp? [message #44589 is a reply to message #44586] Sat, 08 May 2004 18:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Matts is currently offline  Matts
Grand Master
What kind of amp is it? What kind of topology is the circuit? Is it SET or push/pull?

The Studio's, 1 and 2 and 2 Tower, and the Thermionic series, and Theatre 4 will probably be good with most all of the 2A3 amps. You may do a search for "tube friendly" and see what comes up. If it's push/pull or paralleled tubes, you could use almost any of them. Wayne also says the Bottlehead Paramours drive most of the line, even though SET.

Re: what 2a3 tube amp? [message #44590 is a reply to message #44589] Sat, 08 May 2004 18:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Esquire
Yes, I should have read a few postings sooner. my apologies. What i have are paramours with the foreplay preamp. The speakers are the ace design cabinet with rear horns using a 12" paper cone driver with a wizzer cone; sounds good but I would like to try another. I have been considering the straight 8 from bottlehead; but I also would like to consider a pi based kit.

thanks Thor

Re: what 2a3 tube amp? [message #44591 is a reply to message #44590] Sat, 08 May 2004 19:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Matts is currently offline  Matts
Grand Master
I have Paramours with the Studio 2, and they sound great together. No crossover, very good efficiency, extremely good value. Wayne says the Paramours drive most of his line- lots of people use Pi's with the Paramours, with the Theatre 4's being very popular. I've heard the Staight 8's too, and they also sound good. Would be nice to try them all!

Re: what 2a3 tube amp? [message #44593 is a reply to message #44591] Sun, 09 May 2004 10:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Hi Thor; I use a SE EAR 859 which is 9 watts se and Theatre Pi4's. The sound is spacious, deep and quick, seamless through the midrange and very articulate. It images well in a smallish room and plays small jazz combo's particullarly well. At no time have I noticed any strain from the amp, even when using them outside on the deck. I use Bruce Cockburns album Whole Night Sky as a reference and his voice sounds natural and positioned correctly on the soundstage, the bass is very organic and acoustic bass runs up and down the scale maintain accuracy without emphasizing one note over another. The body of the stand up bass sounds woody and musical; pianos have a nice percussive effect that resonates the same as a real piano sounds and female voices are smooth and liquid. They have an ease of presentation that is non-fatiquing over lengthy listening sessions. I use a pair of Altec Valencias and A7's also and the 4's while having their own unique sound compete equally with the much more expensive Altecs. I consider the 4's to be a great bargain for SE amp fans such as myself. Hope this helps, J.R.

Re: what 2a3 tube amp? [message #44596 is a reply to message #44593] Sun, 09 May 2004 17:49 Go to previous message
Esquire
I have some pro audio speakers, peavey and electrovoice. These are about 100 db efficient and I have been thinking of building a large mid-bass horn.What you have explained about the Theatre pi4 interest me greatly and I will look at the design seriously..I was thinking of making a large horn with flared sides.

Thank you for your input; I value this information.
Thor

Previous Topic: Midhorn/8pi
Next Topic: studio 2 tower
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue May 07 00:35:44 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers