Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Decisions, Decisions!
Decisions, Decisions! [message #44537] Sat, 01 May 2004 15:52 Go to next message
Castlesteve is currently offline  Castlesteve
Chancellor
I`m trying to decide which speakers to buy to replace my single driver Fostex speakers. I can afford to go up to about $400 a side. I`m going to be using a new 300B push pull amp giving me about 20 watts to play with. I like the size of the Stage 4s which would look good in my 28 by 12 room. What is the sonic differences between the Thermionic, Stage and Theater series? How will these compare to the Fostex single drivers?
Thanks, Steve.

Re: Decisions, Decisions! [message #44543 is a reply to message #44537] Sun, 02 May 2004 03:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Single drivers are a different breed. I really like the Fostex 206e, but I haven't heard others that I could identify. I mean, I've probably heard others but didn't know what I was listening to. But I'm reasonably familiar with the Fostex 206e in large vented and transmission line speakers, and I like them so I think I can make a fair comparison with them.

The things you'll gain from π Speaker designs are dynamic range and in most cases, deeper and truer bass. The one π is about the same on the bottom end, but all the larger speakers go deeper than single drivers can. The other thing is that you really can't push a 20 watt part very loud, so dynamic range is limited. Twenty watts is about 13dB over one watt, so whatever the W/M sensitivity of the single driver is, add 10dB and you have maximum output. π Speakers will startle you with their authority when you compare them. But that also assumes that you drive them with some power.

Considering that you'll use a low power tube amp, that takes the dynamic range issue away. You're not going to hit the speaker with 100 watts, so that's a non-issue. That leaves you with bass response. In this regard, you'll find that something like the relatively simple and inexpensive two π or two π tower gives you deeper, smoother bass. The new eight π uses the same tube-friendly midwoofer, and it's horn-loaded through most of the audio range, so that's an attractive option too.

The Theater Series four π is the most popular large π speaker. It is very tube friendly, and struts its stuff when belted with a couple hundred watts. So it does well at both low power and high power levels, is very versatile and sounds great too. The Thermionics are also very popular, but they are large. The Thermionic three π is similar to the Theater four π speaker, but it doesn't handle quite as much power.

I really like the Stage Series, but I don't recommend them for use with tube amps. It is great when you have a powerful system, and it sounds nice at medium and high power levels. But it isn't particularly "tube friendly." I will say that Stage Series speakers sound excellent on Bottlehead Paramour amplifiers, but that is an unusual situation. Most amps will not like the load, and will have reduced and/or peaky bass when used with Stage Series speakers.

Re: Decisions, Decisions! [message #44547 is a reply to message #44543] Sun, 02 May 2004 09:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Castlesteve is currently offline  Castlesteve
Chancellor
Hi Wayne. Thanks for the reply. I`m trying like a lot of folks to keep the cabinet size down to pacify the other half. I have an existing pair of homemade 2.5 cu ft bass reflex cabinets which i could retro fit the Pi 2 drivers into. Is this likely to work? They are well made cabinets with bracing and a 1.5" ply/mdf shell. I can adjust the port size.
I`m wondering however if the horn drivers are better sounding than the piezo tweeters and if i should attempt some kind of a hybrid design. What do you think?
Steve.

Re: Decisions, Decisions! [message #44548 is a reply to message #44547] Sun, 02 May 2004 09:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
The Alpha 10 will work very nicely in a 2.5ft3 box tuned to 40Hz. That's close to the volume of the (non-tower) two π speaker.

Personally, I like the sound of the KSN1038 tweeter. The thing is that with it coming online at 3.5kHz, the Alpha 10 is required to work up that high. It does so, and is actually pretty loud at that frequency. So you really want to be sure to add the 0.5mH coil to tame it there just a bit.

But I'm pretty find of those speakers. I'd say go for it.

Re: Decisions, Decisions! [message #44575 is a reply to message #44543] Tue, 04 May 2004 21:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jeffh is currently offline  jeffh
Esquire
Wayne,
I noticed that you mentioned a new 8-pi speaker. I didn't see it on the site. Is there some info available on that design yet? I'm really interested in a horn and have looked at Fostex designs for my little 8w monoblocks.

Re: Decisions, Decisions! [message #44576 is a reply to message #44575] Tue, 04 May 2004 21:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jeffh is currently offline  jeffh
Esquire
OK,
I saw the other posts on the 8-pi. Please let me know when you have that available and what the kit price will be. Also, the cabinet size will still be important if I try to sneak it by my wife. I mentioned to her tonight that I may move the MBOW1s up to our bedroom. As expected, she wasn't thrilled by the thought of huge speakers in the family room. I did read correctly that these are tube friendly?
Thanks

Re: Decisions, Decisions! [message #44577 is a reply to message #44576] Wed, 05 May 2004 07:17 Go to previous message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
They're very tube friendly, but also pretty large at about 6ft3. That isn't huge but it isn't really small either. They're two feet wide and three feet tall, and they'll fit snugly into corners so they aren't intrusive. They also won't require corner placement, but will be shaped so that it is a good option. Price for a kit is great, just $225.00. I'm about ready to make plans available, and should have 'em done by the end of the week. We have all the parts for kits in stock except for the coils, which I expect later this week too.

Previous Topic: Pi 8
Next Topic: Hey everyone!
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed May 22 09:35:41 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout