Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Pi-8
Pi-8 [message #44522] Thu, 29 April 2004 17:50 Go to next message
Duncan McBride is currently offline  Duncan McBride
Baron
Hey I just ordered a pair of PSD2002s and H290s so I can convert my 2pi towers to 8pi near-the-corner horns. The crossover discussion is a little sketchy for me (I'm an economist with soldering/woodworking skills) I'm looking at the third order crossover with the tweeter compensation network on page 62 of your paper, and I guess I could glue two of these together. The instructions you stated for the woofer circuit leave me in doubt as to exactly which side of the 8ohm resistor the 4ohm resistor goes. This poor flux-stained wretch could use some help. An 8-pi crossover kit, perhaps, or if you don't have those ready yet, a diagram whose dots I could connect. I have a magnifying glass.

BTW, I'm listening to some favorite stuff on my 2pi towers through recently completed Bottlehead Foreplay and Paramours, and having a lot of fun. Everything sounds better - I keep pulling CDs out to see what they'll sound like, and I keep getting amazed. Outstanding. I found an old TV/Radio repair shop where I could buy some tubes (a 12AU7 in the Foreplay had a hum) and I had to listen to the guy go on about how old tube designs had lots of distortion, but people who had grown up with that old sound just liked it, he guessed. I kept saying, "I guess you're right". No accounting for taste.

When you get a chance, let us know what to expect in regard to nailing down the last details on the 8-pi. Many thanks.

Re: Pi-8 [message #44524 is a reply to message #44522] Fri, 30 April 2004 03:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I saw your order yesterday as I was on my way out the door. I thought I could get back to you yesterday early evening but when I returned, SBC Wideband had suffered an outage that's still going on. I just setup a dial-up account so I could check a few things, but my access is still crippled. I haven't been able to get into the shopping cart yet, but I'll be sure your compression drivers and horns go out today.

About the eight π speakers, I expect to have the drawings done pretty soon. Same goes for the new models of π cornerhorns that will use the midhorn. The crossover for the eight π is the same as what's used in other speakers. You can order a π 1K6aL10dB crossover and use it right out of the box. The π 1K6aL10dB crossover is the same as a 1K6a010dB crossover except there is no C4, and a different midwoofer cable assembly is used.

Let me know when you're ready to put together your crossovers. You can purchase the completed crossovers from us, and that will save you a lot of trouble. Or if you want to assemble them yourself, we'll just sell you the parts. I'm getting components in high enough quantities that the prices are really good.

Re: Pi-8 [message #44525 is a reply to message #44524] Fri, 30 April 2004 06:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Baron
Thanks Wayne - I ordered a pair of 1K6aL10dB crossovers and I hope it's not too late to pack them with the other stuff. The woofer cable assembly seems straightforward enough. I don't intend to use these with anything but the Paramours so a low-power version of the woofer cable assembly would work. I'll start on the horn and cabinet, and maybe in a week or two (or three) will be ready to put together the woofer cable - if you don't have the parts up on the web site by then, I'll just pester you :
Re: Pi-8 [message #44526 is a reply to message #44522] Fri, 30 April 2004 07:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GarMan is currently offline  GarMan
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Hey Duncan,

Over the winter, I crossed in a PSD2002 and horn for HF duty in my 2-PI Tower and was very happy with the results. Used the 1.6KHz network as per Wayne's crossover paper. Give this configuration a listen first before diving into the Pi-8, just so you can appreciate what the PSD2002 is doing.

Gar.

Re: Pi-8 [message #44527 is a reply to message #44525] Fri, 30 April 2004 07:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Cool, Duncan. Thanks for writing me here 'cause SBC is still reporting an outage on their wideband services. I'm still limping along. But I'll pack the crossovers in there and I'll throw in a couple extra resistors so all you'll need is the coil. The bummer is that's one of the more expensive parts and I plan to stock them but haven't brought any in yet. I'll be sure to order a bunch very soon and in the meantime, you might grab a pair from Parts Express.

Re: Pi-8 [message #44528 is a reply to message #44526] Fri, 30 April 2004 07:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
I really enjoyed the posts you wrote describing your build-up process. I probably should do a search here some time and locate them to tie together in a single post with links to each part.

Re: Pi-8 [message #44529 is a reply to message #44528] Fri, 30 April 2004 09:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Wayne, as you probably may know, I'm not finished yet. Not sure if it was part of your original intent, but I like the Towers a lot because of its responsiveness to modifications. A bargin in its stock form, with some very good things going for it. But very receptive to mod's if you want to put more money into it. It presents a very attractive option to builder who may not have the money now for the high-end drivers, but want to upgrade their speaker as funds become available.

Gar.

Re: Pi-8 [message #44530 is a reply to message #44526] Fri, 30 April 2004 10:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Baron
Sure, I remember your project, and was already primed when I read about the 8pi. The plan is to build the smallest box I can fit around the 290's and see how that sounds with the towers while I put together the 8pi enclosures. Actually, seeing as how the Alpha 10s are the least expensive elements in the entire system, I ought to just get another pair and leave the towers as they are. I really like them, except for my miserable attempt at veneering. I'll use birch ply for the 8pi enclosures, I guess.

How are you liking the Thermionic 2pi Towers, now that you've had more time to get used to them?

Re: Pi-8 [message #44531 is a reply to message #44530] Fri, 30 April 2004 15:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Love them!

But I also aware that the Alpha10 is the least expensive part of the system and would like to see where a better driver will take me. Just part of my nature to mod.

Re: Pi-8 [message #44534 is a reply to message #44531] Sat, 01 May 2004 02:05 Go to previous message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
I'm with you guys on this. I've had an itch to ask Eminence to build a flux stabilized 10" driver with the same T/S specs as the Alpha 10. It would make an excellent midwoofer.

Previous Topic: Can't get home
Next Topic: 8pi tube electronic xover
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun May 12 12:09:21 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout