Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Pictures
Pictures [message #44441] Thu, 22 April 2004 06:45 Go to next message
Adrian Mack is currently offline  Adrian Mack
Illuminati (1st Degree)

Sorry that its a crap quality :P You get the idea anyway, for any of those that remember me building these! I was finishing up the bits and pieces today, so I can honestly say the ONLY thing left to do is the finishing :d oh... and casters :p I show only 1 of the towers in the photos, both towers are at the same stage though.

I still need to figure out a way to secure the midrange horn while keeping it removable.

Re: Pictures [message #44442 is a reply to message #44441] Thu, 22 April 2004 07:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GrantMarshall is currently offline  GrantMarshall
Viscount

Looks great Adrian. How do you find the soundstage and when comparing are you using the 2 way Pi speaker as a reference?

I've been playing with this idea the last few nights and am thinking of putting the midrange in a seperate cabinet on top of the corner horn (Pi 7 model) instead of the middle. 2 cabinets would keep size down and the top box shouldn't be too heavy. I have the high frequency right at the top of the current box which would keep the drivers physically close.

Wayne was mentioning you did the math for the 6 inch driver. What dimensions did you end up with? Your midrange looks squarer than Waynes plan. Did you change the dispersion as well?

Thanks in advance.

Grant.

Re: Pictures [message #44443 is a reply to message #44442] Thu, 22 April 2004 08:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Hi Grant

Thanks for your comments!

Actually, I havn't built any of the Pi Speaker models, so I can't compare to that. I started planning this project about a year ago and was deciding between one of the 4 Pi bass reflex models, or going ahead with my own 3-way design employing a midrange horn. I choose to go with a midrange horn for all the common reasons.

Anyhow, the driver I used is the Eminence Alpha 6. I did a number of different conical prototypes and also a tractrix prototype. The horn I did is conical, 28.7cm long, 1083cm^2 mouth, 50cm^2 throat, 3L rear chamber. No extra front chamber volume. Dispersion is 60 by 40 deg. It's within +/- 2.5db from 300Hz to 2KHz. Getting the size very small but still covering the bandwidth required with high efficiency was the goal.

> I've been playing with this idea the last few nights and am
> thinking of putting the midrange in a seperate cabinet on top of
> the corner horn (Pi 7 model) instead of the middle. 2 cabinets
> would keep size down and the top box shouldn't be too heavy. I
> have the high frequency right at the top of the current box which
> would keep the drivers physically close.

So that would put the HF horn in the middle, yes? I suppose that could be done, if the HF horn is at ear level. Usually the HF horn would be on top, MF horn in middle and LF horn on bottom though, it generally would sound better that way (LF and MF combine with less interferance, and less spread out in time).

Picture of final midrange horn.

Adrian

Re: Pictures [message #44444 is a reply to message #44441] Thu, 22 April 2004 09:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Those are really great looking speakers, Adrian! Just super!

For mounting the midhorn, you might use a wood brace made of 2x4 wood stock. Cut it with a beveled edge so that the horn sides are flush with the bracket. This way, the horn can be attached with screws and removed from the front if needed.

Re: Pictures [message #44447 is a reply to message #44441] Thu, 22 April 2004 15:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ToFo is currently offline  ToFo
Master
Hello Adrian,
Yowzers, I hope your neighbors... er, neighborhood aproves of your taste in music :)

Very nice indeed!
Thomas

yummy! *salivates* [message #44450 is a reply to message #44441] Thu, 22 April 2004 20:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mike.e is currently offline  Mike.e
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Finally!

your new cheap-ass cam is better than ur old one thats for sure HAHA
Do the batteries lastlong? no digi cams ever last long.my new kodak even uses them in no time,+ u cant transfer the pics if the batteries die even tho USB shud power it :P

ul be so pleased when its finally completed :-)

then u can start ur 18" horn ;-)

im abit worried about constructing mine-as i actualy have NOWHERE To put it,other than in the car.So it would have to live in the CAR HAHAHA

Cheers!
Mike.e

Re: yummy! *salivates* [message #44452 is a reply to message #44450] Thu, 22 April 2004 20:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)

Haha, yeah its a lot better. But notice how some of those pictures look bad still - thats because they were at the end of the camera. It holds 26 pictures in high resolution mode. The first 15 pictures I take look really good, and the next 5 or so start looking crap, and the final 5 at the end turns out shit :P All the ones I posted I took near the end of the camera :P (except the one of the JBL 2225 cone, it was near the start - thats why its so much clearer!). I notice it too when I take the pics, the ones near the end take longer - the little 'beep' takes longer to sound meaning its stuffing up the pictures :P

It uses only a single AAA battery and it runs forever. It's THE MOST battery efficient camera I've had! I've taken at least a hundred pics now and I'm still on the same battery. Years ago I had a pencam, even worse than my old Jamcam (thats a warning not to buy a camera where the name of the brand has the word 'cam' in it, it represents crap-quality, haha). The pencam was pretty battery efficient if I remember, it used two AAA batteries. The Jamcam used a 9V, and ate it up within minutes :P Some poorer-brand 9V batteries would die INSTANTLY! I mean, you COULDNT even take a single shot! Alkaline batteries were pretty much a must-have. The new mini-digital camera has a single AAA battery only. It's actually called a "Dicam" - yeah yeah, I know, its got 'cam' in it! Well thats why the pictures near the end of the camera look like shit but the first ones dont :P

Maybe it represents quality. 'cam' means overall, something is weird or wrong with it. Pencam starts with P and is further down the alphabet than the J in Jamcam, thats why the Pencam was a lot worse. The D in Dicam is nearer to the start of the alphabet, so it represents better quality, but its got 'cam' in it still so theres something weird with it, on mine it was the first pictures looking better than the last :P

Well thats my proven theory anyway, hahaa.

Re: yummy! *salivates* [message #44455 is a reply to message #44452] Thu, 22 April 2004 21:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mike.e is currently offline  Mike.e
Illuminati (1st Degree)
well mines a kodak cs6200

C is near the beginning of alphabet;-)

Re: yummy! *salivates* [message #44456 is a reply to message #44455] Thu, 22 April 2004 21:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
but the theory only holds true if the make of the camera has 'cam' in it. 'cam' in 'camera' doesnt count :P

penCAM
jamCAM
diCAM

:-)

It's the Lens, Not the Megs [message #44460 is a reply to message #44452] Fri, 23 April 2004 07:44 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
GarMan is currently offline  GarMan
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Adrian, your resolution is fine. I blew up your photo 400% on the screen and hardly saw any pixles. The photos are fuzzy because of the lens. Everybody's so obsessed with how many MBytes and Mega-Pixels a camera has, but gives no thought about the cheap plastic lens in front of the camera.

It goes for film photography too. I've seem guys drop several grand for the top-of-line Nikon F5 or Canon 1n, only to shoot through a $150 lens. Kind of like playing a Walkman through a set of JML Utopias.

A couple of things to help you get cleaner photos are:
- Don't shoot handheld. Use a tripod or rest the camera on a solid surface.
- Only zoom in if you absolutely have to. Those cheap zoom lens are at its worst at maximum zoom.

Gar.

Previous Topic: T-shirts?
Next Topic: JBL drivers
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon May 13 08:34:05 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers