Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » A few questions from a non DIY guy.
A few questions from a non DIY guy. [message #44435] Wed, 21 April 2004 19:54 Go to next message
edta is currently offline  edta
Esquire
You have an intriguing company. You have an excellent concept, theoretically.

Still, I’m at sea about your company. You provide loudspeaker systems, which you build, or kits, correct? The cabinets of the kits must be completely built by the buyer? Or the buyer has to go out and find a carpenter who can build the cabinet to the plans? And then the buyer has to install the kit into the cabinet built either by himself or his carpenter, or someone who understands how to do it? Can one get the plans and instructions of the kit prior to buying?

I notice that no mention is made of the weight of the fully assembled units. Wouldn’t that be a large factor in shipping of a completed fully built speaker system? What about shipping weight of a kit?

Say I’m interested in the 4Pi professional bass reflex. What does the cabinet look like? I mean, really look like. How do the panels go together? How do I mount the panels? How do I mount the drivers? Can the speakers be removed for service? Do you use wood screws? Are there panels that allow disassembly? What if I want to substitute different drivers?

Do I have to purchase the plans to these “kits” and speakers before I can understand what they are really like?

Your crossovers, are they better than the company provided crossovers, viz, JBL? Have you made and published freq. runs to show how effective they are? Have you compared them to freq. runs of the company (JBL) provided crossovers? Your value added includes the crossover design and performance, right?

Oh, and the prices. I assume they are for 1 speaker system only. Stereo doubles the price, right? Is this a stupid question?

I am not a DIY person. Still, I am exploring your site on the recommendation of Bill Fitzmaurice of Audio Asylum. Thank you.

Re: A few answers from me [message #44438 is a reply to message #44435] Wed, 21 April 2004 23:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Hello Edta,

You wrote:

>> You provide loudspeaker systems, which you build, or kits, correct?

Yes, both completed loudspeakers and kits. Individual parts too.

>> The cabinets of the kits must be completely built by the buyer?

Yes.

>> Or the buyer has to go out and find a carpenter who can build the
>> cabinet to the plans?

That's a good option too, yes.

>> And then the buyer has to install the kit into the cabinet built
>> either by himself or his carpenter, or someone who understands how
>> to do it?

That's right, yes.

>> Can one get the plans and instructions of the kit prior to buying?

Yes.

>> I notice that no mention is made of the weight of the fully
>> assembled units. Wouldn’t that be a large factor in shipping of a
>> completed fully built speaker system?

Yes.

>> What about shipping weight of a kit?

The shopping cart shows shipping costs.

>> Say I’m interested in the 4Pi professional bass reflex. What does
>> the cabinet look like?

Like this:

>> How do the panels go together? How do I mount the panels?

Assembly can be done with butt joints or more complicated methods. It's not really a very difficult job, as woodworking and cabinetry goes.

>> How do I mount the drivers?

You just bolt them in.

>> Can the speakers be removed for service?

Yes.

>> Do you use wood screws?

For light drivers, wood screws are sufficient. For heavier ones, T-Nuts are used instead.

>> Are there panels that allow disassembly?

None are needed for most models. Access to the drivers is made through the front. The midrange horn requires rear access though.

>> What if I want to substitute different drivers?

This can be done on some models; It isn't recommended on others.

>> Do I have to purchase the plans to these "kits" and speakers
>> before I can understand what they are really like?

You can have the plans whether you purchase or not. I just ask that you don't use them to build speakers and compete against me.

>> Your crossovers, are they better than the company provided
>> crossovers, viz, JBL?

I prefer not to comment on others products, particularly a general statement about all of them. But then again, of course my crossovers are best.

>> Have you made and published freq. runs to show how effective they are?

Please see the previous post called "A few useful documents."

>> Have you compared them to freq. runs of the company (JBL) provided
>> crossovers?

I've compared my designs to various others, yes.

>> Your value added includes the crossover design and performance, right?

Yes.

And the collection of parts that make up a kit are priced at about the same cost as other vendors, so the assembly we do and all the work I've done to design the speaker is practically free for the DIY builder. This is quite substantial. I've done a lot of work to make these speakers perform well. The assembly is also non-trivial, as it represents an hour or two per kit. No soldering is required for the builder to complete a kit.

>> Oh, and the prices. I assume they are for 1 speaker system only.
>> Stereo doubles the price, right?

That's right. Prices are for one speaker, double for two.

Thanks for asking,

Wayne

Re: A few questions from a non DIY guy. [message #44440 is a reply to message #44435] Thu, 22 April 2004 01:28 Go to previous message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Speaking as one who has disassembled both Altec and Pi crossovers the Pi's are much better constructed and the frequency response graphs prove much more linear response. Should you choose Altec you will have to replace the xover with more modern and accurate components anyway. The cabinets on Altec require extensive bracing to bring them up to specs which is almost as much work as building them new. Apair of cabinets custom built for Pro 4Pi's in my neck of the woods would run 500$. Sears sells inserts for the driver mounting bolts that are easily placed in the drivers cutout and allows easy access to the woofers and tweeter horn. The crossover which by the way is a really heavy duty well thought out unit is already assembled and just bolts to the floor of the cabinet. The wire routes are clearly marked and require push on leads which Wayne supplies. They are heavy but no heavier that any other large format pro speaker, just nicer looking. I run mine with several amps both single ended tubes and push-pull and both work well. I built my cabinets along the JBL concept of framing a box from 2x4's then screwing and gluing a skin of 3/4" birch ply over the frame. If you can operate a cicular saw and a ruler you can build nice cabs in a few days to rival pro stuff, then finish them according to info provided by some of the expert woodworkers , Martinelli and Epstein who post on this forumn and are very generous with their comments and help. Please check out the Woodhorn site as he makes beautiful wood style custom horns for Pi speakers that will knock your eyes out. They can mount on top of the bass cab and require, then, that you only need to build a simple box or have it built. You need only cut four holes total to mount all parts, line the two sides with r13 home insulation using a common staple gun and wire her up. The only thing you buy is wood, insulation, glue and screws and whatever wood finish you love and you are good to go. And it is all brand new. Or you can get a custom carpenter and design somthing that would rival good furniture. Above all this level of sound quality is unobtainable at any where near this price beleive me, even if you have them custom built. Consider this, the new JBL k2 is 12000.00 dollars a pair. for a very similar design both in parts and quality of sound. If you peruse the photo site on this forumn you will see these speakers in some very upscale homes and they look good. And some really beautiful finishes. Good Luck.

Previous Topic: New Addition to Family
Next Topic: Cornerhorns without Cornerhorns.
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat May 18 14:26:10 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio