Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » PI studio series 2 tower
PI studio series 2 tower [message #44392] Wed, 14 April 2004 11:54 Go to next message
tom is currently offline  tom
Chancellor
I have only a couple of woodworking projects under my belt.Is this kit something I could handle?

Re: PI studio series 2 tower [message #44397 is a reply to message #44392] Thu, 15 April 2004 03:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
There is no soldering required. After you have the cabinets, you just connect the drivers and bolt them in. So if you're comfortable with you ability to built a box and cut a few holes in it, this kit will be no trouble for you.

Re: PI studio series 2 tower [message #44399 is a reply to message #44392] Thu, 15 April 2004 04:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
elektratig is currently offline  elektratig
Grand Master
Tom,

As Wayne says, basically all you have to do is build a box. As a fairly new woodworker myself, I know that's easier said than done, but if you take your time, measure twice, cut once, etc., you should be fine.

Smaller boxes are easier to build than large ones. One alternative would be to build a pair of regular (non-tower) 2 Pi boxes to start, then build the towers while you're listening to your speakers! This would also give you a chance to practice with various tools and refine your techniques such as finishing so when you build the towers they're really beautiful.

Good luck!

Re: PI studio series 2 tower [message #44400 is a reply to message #44392] Thu, 15 April 2004 07:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GarMan is currently offline  GarMan
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Tom,

I built the 2PI Towers as my first speaker project and had very little problems with it. The only trouble I had during the build was moving it on and off the workbench. I used 1" MDF and over-braced, so it became pretty heavy.

I did have all the panels cut to spec at the big-box store, so that helped a lot. When I got home, it was just a matter of piecing them together. Most big-box stores that I know of will cut for you if you give them a cutting diagram.

Gar.

Re: 3 o'clock in the afternoon [message #44402 is a reply to message #44400] Thu, 15 April 2004 15:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BillEpstein is currently offline  BillEpstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
That's when you want to be at HD or Lowe's. And know exactly what you want, i.e., cut the 4x8 to 22 1/2 x 96 and then cut 3 pieces 15x22 1/2, etc, etc. Have then overcut by an eight inch as the panel saws used are not accurate. Square up the box with a framing square when you assemble and sand or plane off the excess. Always, always leave the edge proud of the panel. You DON'T want to sand down a large surface to meet an undercut edge!
Each box is just 6 pieces. POC!
Seee the archives here and everywhere for tips on bracing, etc. E-mail me or Elektra or Bill or anybody...............
Merry Pranks Website

After midnight at the 24hr HD ... [message #44403 is a reply to message #44402] Thu, 15 April 2004 19:12 Go to previous message
GarMan is currently offline  GarMan
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
...is when I get the best service. Definately not Sunday afternoon when the cutter is rushing through each of the jobs.

I've found my cuts for the Towers I built to be very accurate. Less than 1/16 inch.

BTW, a 4x8 sheet is not 48"x96". It's something like 49"x97", so keep that in mind when drawing your cutting diagram.

Previous Topic: "You want those JBL's to go?
Next Topic: Cool input terminals, and cheap!
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat May 11 18:13:28 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio