Home » Audio » General » outdoor wide band arrays
outdoor wide band arrays [message #4427] Mon, 16 July 2007 20:52 Go to next message
granch is currently offline  granch
Viscount
I live on a 20' bluff overlooking a lake in Northern MN. For 10 years I've been putting on an annual free organ concert for the lake. I use arrays of Altec A-7's - 3 on a side stacked one over two. My source is an electronic organ in the house and/or CDs played thru usually a 30 year old Dynakit 400 stereo amp. Used the same system with only two A-7s for 10 years in NJ for an Arts Center in Freehold (indoors & out). It all works and sounds great. Enjoyable from the other side of the lake between 1 and 2 miles away. Last performance had nearly 50 watercraft anchored to listen off shore and over 50 listening in the yard. I am interested in improving my system but I see no discussions of a) outdoor systems, b) arrays like mine, or c) anything much applicable. Anyone want to start a new topic with me?

Re: outdoor wide band arrays [message #4429 is a reply to message #4427] Tue, 17 July 2007 10:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Use any Leslie's?

Do you use anything like Smaart to help setup?

What do you use for subs?

Re: outdoor wide band arrays [message #4430 is a reply to message #4429] Tue, 17 July 2007 13:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Viscount
Indoors I use Allen's version of a Leslie (a "Gyrophonic") at dead slow speed.
I don't know what "Smaart" is.
Outdoors I use no subs, only the A-7s. Indoors I use 4 HSU (1220s?) which shake the house off its foundations at 16 hz.
I would like to develop still more acoustic power outside and with more low frequency oomph, which is why I'm interested in adding to my present "array". However, since I live on a sandy cliff, I don't want to actually simulate an earthquake.

Got to see pics [message #4431 is a reply to message #4427] Tue, 17 July 2007 13:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
colinhester is currently offline  colinhester
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
This sounds like fun! Do you have any pictures of your concerts?.....C

Re: Got to see pics [message #4433 is a reply to message #4431] Tue, 17 July 2007 14:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Viscount
Yes, but I don't know where to post them. And, yes, it IS a lot of fun. However getting the speakers up and down and wrapping them against rain is a very tough job, even with the assistance of a John Deer tractor and loader. That's another objective I have for my redesign: easier up and down and protect from the elements.

Re: Got to see pics---pic hosting [message #4434 is a reply to message #4433] Tue, 17 July 2007 15:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Shane is currently offline  Shane
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Host them on Photobucket or a similar free hosting site then just reference the url in the "Optional Image URL" spot in the reply form. I'd love to see thie setup.

Re: Got to see pics---pic hosting [message #4435 is a reply to message #4434] Tue, 17 July 2007 16:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Viscount
I put 4 pix on Photobucket. look for "granch" You will get a display from God know's where, but it will also give you the chance to click on "granch's album" They are there. One is a three pix montage we use for newspaaper advertising of our concerts. It shows Tom Hazelton playing our organ in its dedication cxeremony. Another inset shows one of the A-7 clusters and a crowd in the side yard. Two of the A-7s have the 511B's mounted inside - a practice we quickly stopped. The main shot is of part of the audience anchored in the lake. Another pix shows the front of the organ. More pix sometime later, perhaps.

Re: outdoor wide band arrays [message #4436 is a reply to message #4430] Tue, 17 July 2007 16:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

You really should get some subs for running this kind of gear outdoors. Look around, there are plenty of them that will work for you. Some are DIY boxes. As for Smaart, it's a measurement system that helps you setup systems to make them sound best. Check it out at the link.

There's a forum here on AudioRoundTable.com for Prosound Speakers that you might be interested in. That's where we usually have discussions about equipment like this. We host an annual Prosound Shootout, where we measure subwoofers at a large open field, at a race track. This year, it will be co-sponsored by ProsoundWeb.com.

Re: outdoor wide band arrays [message #4437 is a reply to message #4436] Tue, 17 July 2007 18:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Viscount
Hmmm. Yes I've done a bit of exploring at your suggestion. I don't see how you manage to do all that you do unless you are a pseudonym for a manufacturer with umpteen employees instead of a simple lone genius billionaire. Perhaps I can do something about an outdoor sub. I do think that my array ideas for the A-7's will shore up their bass response. But it would be nice to go down to 30 hz or so instead of 50. The 16 hz I get in the house would definitely destabilize the shoreline. Maybe when I unload a ton of stuff on ebay I'll have some money to do somemore. I really would like to build my A-7s into two arrays of four with the horns stacked sideways on each other, woofers adjoining-2x2, With wings, that should make a big improvement - and easily driveable with my present equipment. One thing I always find humorous (?): When someone finishes describing something like your 12pi speaker with absolutely unearthly words and measurements, but then adds ..."of course two would be even better".

Re: outdoor wide band arrays [message #4438 is a reply to message #4437] Tue, 17 July 2007 21:13 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Viscount
On still further exploring I am getting curiouser and curiouser. It now appears that you are both a manufacturer and a lone genius billionaire. Probably the second came before the first.
The JBL manual I found while rummaging around confirmed my idea that quad A-7s with woofer cones adjacent should give me good bass reinforcement and lower the effective bass cutoff frequency.

Previous Topic: Can you help me identify this?
Next Topic: Are any LSAF'rs gonna build the Simple 45? Here's my formal review
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun May 12 23:11:43 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout