Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » mid-range horn
mid-range horn [message #44200] Sat, 20 March 2004 05:34 Go to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Hi Wayne, When you get a chance could you take a minute and tell us about the new midrange horn. How will it fit into existing systems? Thanks.

Re: mid-range horn [message #44204 is a reply to message #44200] Sat, 20 March 2004 11:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GarMan is currently offline  GarMan
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
I think Wayne's saving all the details for his product launch announcement. This guy's getting all "corporate" on us ;) I heard rumours that he's hiring the Goodyear blimp and a couple of bands for his press conference.

Wayne, how about tossing us a bone and give us an announcement date?

Gar.

Re: mid-range horn [message #44211 is a reply to message #44204] Sat, 20 March 2004 21:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Sorry to appear to be so evasive. The only reason I've been quiet about the midhorn is that I've had so much going on that I couldn't commit to a date. Last October or November, I had hoped to have it out by the first of the year, but I quickly realized that there was no way. So I set a self-imposed first quarter 2004 target date, and here I am coming up on that deadline too.

It's not really all that complicated. It's a midrange horn, originally intended to cover 160Hz to 1.6kHz with a 10" driver. In practice, it's possible to get a bit lower than that, particularly in room and especially when used on a cornerhorn. But such a horn has to either be large or limited to use within about a foot from a corner so that it gains boundary reinforcement down low.

The current prototype is a 90o x 40o horn with mouth dimensions of 24" x 12". It is to be used with a large rear chamber or none at all. I would always cover the rear though, simply because it is safer for the driver and looks better, so it is enclosed by box. I'll show you drawings and photos soon.

Frankly, there are a couple neat details, but in general, this is an exceedingly simple horn. The response curve is great, and it covers the entire vocal range. It performs well, sounds great and fits in with many loudspeaker implementations. It is also very easy to build and service, and is a sturdy and attractive design.

Other than that, there are a couple of neat options for this horn mentioned in the post called "Midrange horn". More news is coming very soon.

Re: mid-range horn [message #44215 is a reply to message #44211] Sat, 20 March 2004 21:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adrian Mack is currently offline  Adrian Mack
Illuminati (1st Degree)

Hey Wayne

Are you still planning to use the 2012? Have you considered the 2123? It is a very nice driver and I've heard of others use it on horns before with a lot of success.

Adrian

Re: mid-range horn [message #44216 is a reply to message #44215] Sat, 20 March 2004 22:06 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
The 2123 is a great driver, but they're not available from JBL anymore. There used to be some in the tent sale, so maybe someone might try them but my design is tested for use with the JBL 2012 and Eminence Delta 10. More news soon.

Previous Topic: Theater seven pi corner horn
Next Topic: 'Nother question
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu May 09 21:15:36 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout