Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » 2Pi Tower dampening
2Pi Tower dampening [message #44174] Wed, 17 March 2004 16:47 Go to next message
wasteh202 is currently offline  wasteh202
Master
I have a question for you.

When I crank up the volume to about 95+db's, I start to get allot of clutter in the sound. It seems that it could be some distortion. But, I am wondering how much the sound waves inside the cabs are contributing towards this. I already did some test by moving the insullation in one cab from the top to the bottom, and also from the front to the back( Ileft the side alone). This seems to have helped to some degree. And I will likely leave it as is and change the other box as well. The boxes are made from 3/4" plywood(HD quality )

I seemed to have lost some bass by making this change. It is perceived to my ears that I also lost some SPL... but the meter says differently, no loss.
What little bass I did loose, I gained in midrange clarity... and I prefer it.

Wayne, what should I expect if I dampen all of the inside of the box walls with insulation ?

Do you have another solution for this problem ? How about dampening the baskets of the mid/wofers ?

Re: 2Pi Tower dampening [message #44175 is a reply to message #44174] Wed, 17 March 2004 17:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Master
I did some more searching and this post from Bill seems to address what change I made in the insulation.

Re: 2Pi Tower dampening [message #44176 is a reply to message #44174] Wed, 17 March 2004 19:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Matts is currently offline  Matts
Grand Master
I dampened the basket of the woofer in my 2Pi's and the tweeter as well with Dynamat Xtreme. It gave a little more clarity to the sound, mostly in the mids.

Re: 2Pi Tower dampening [message #44178 is a reply to message #44174] Wed, 17 March 2004 22:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Out of curiosity, what amplifier are you running? I probably should remember, but I don't.

Re: 2Pi Tower dampening [message #44180 is a reply to message #44174] Thu, 18 March 2004 00:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adrian Mack is currently offline  Adrian Mack
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Sounds like you are absorbing a lot of the standing waves inside the cabinet. I usually put the lining material on all walls though.... to absorb more of the standing waves and prevent the rear wave from coming back through the cone with potential cancellations.

Re: 2Pi Tower dampening [message #44181 is a reply to message #44178] Thu, 18 March 2004 06:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Master
Wayne... good question

Currently I have the speakers being pushed by an older Sherwood Reciever(mid eighties, 105wpc @8ohms). It is not the best SS amp... but not the worst either. It actually can push pretty decent. I have pushed my Magnepan MMG's with it and it can keep up with my 1975 Sansui 9090DB(wtihout distorting those speakers).
I will do some listening again with some other SS amps when I get the chance. I don't have a good tube amp right now, I am having some Heathkit W4-AM monoblocks rebuilt and modified right now and should have them back in about 6 weeks. That may be a good time to give a listen again to what I am hearing.

Re: 2Pi Tower dampening [message #44182 is a reply to message #44181] Thu, 18 March 2004 11:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Good idea to swap things around to try and isolate the cause of what you're hearing. I know that I have a couple of powerful amps that drive my tower two's nicely all the way up to their limits, which is quite loud. I also have a couple of amps that clip below 100 watts, and naturally, you can hear distortion when they're clipping.

Tower two π speakers sound very nice with tube amps, but they also sound pretty good to me with inexpensive solid state gear, as long as it isn't overdriven and starts clipping. I rather like the system with a little $400.00 Harman Kardon HK3470 receiver - It sounds better than it has a right to.

Give this a try too. Take the tweeter apart and inspect it, removing any dust, lint or debris that you find inside. It's easy to disassemble these tweeters by removing the three screws from the back. It not uncommon to find sawdust accidentally dropped into the mouth during assembly, and then debris is trapped between the diaphragm and the phase plug. So you might check to make sure that your tweeters are clean.

Re: 2Pi Tower dampening [message #44183 is a reply to message #44182] Thu, 18 March 2004 14:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Master
Thanks Wayne

I do not have the model HK reciever that that you mention... I have heard that those old models are good ones.

I do have a newer HK HT SS amp and I will give it a try... as well as my Sansui Reciever... and the Heathkits when they are returned to me.

Wayne... what can I expect if I dampen all sides of the Tower boxes ?

Will I loose the low bass response ? will I loose SPL ? Will I gain anything ? I know that you recomend to inuslate the front baffel and not the back of the speaker.. but, this seemes to sound better to me.

I know that I can just keep trying things. But, everytime I open these boxes I reseal them and it gets tedious.

Thanks

Re: 2Pi Tower dampening [message #44184 is a reply to message #44183] Thu, 18 March 2004 14:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
The HK 3470 is actually a modern receiver. I bought one from Crutchfield a year or two ago, just to see what it sounded like. Seemed like a good entry-level system for use with small two-way speakers like the one π and two π speakers. And it does, in fact, sound very, very nice. I am impressed with it, especially for the money.

About damping all sides of a two π tower speaker, I'm afraid that you might make the speaker a bit boomy. If you add too much insulation material, it will increase the virtual size of the cabinet. So if you're using R13, I suggest you only line the front, top and one side.

Re: 2Pi Tower dampening [message #44185 is a reply to message #44184] Thu, 18 March 2004 14:55 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Master
Hmmmmm... I must me thinking of another model of vintage HK.

Amyway... about the insulation. I am using R-13. What if I thin it down(the insulation) so as not to make the virtual size of the cabinet smaller ? Would that work ?

Sorry to bug ya Wayne... I am just trying to learn and find a solution.

Thanks again.

Previous Topic: Son&Image
Next Topic: Measuring Yorkville TX8 cabs
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue May 07 13:19:32 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers