Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Do Pro digital crossover have good sound quality for Hi-fi?
Do Pro digital crossover have good sound quality for Hi-fi? [message #44133] Wed, 10 March 2004 20:27 Go to next message
adkins is currently offline  adkins
Chancellor
I am thinking of having a DBX driverack 480 Pro digital Crossover for use in my DIY speaker. Is this adviseable for home use with all tube gear? any thoughts?

Re: Do Pro digital crossover have good sound quality for Hi-fi? [message #44134 is a reply to message #44133] Wed, 10 March 2004 22:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
That unit gets rave reviews. While I don't imagine it gets many people combining it with tube gear, it's one of the best EQ's in its class.

You'll find two different schools of thought here. Some would prefer a simpler solution for home use. Others like DSP and computer control. You're suggesting a blend of the two by connecting something like this into an otherwise all tube system.

No harm in that - It's probably not appropriate to say it's "good" or "bad". Certainly, this unit is one of the best EQ's, providing a lot of response shaping and signal processing features. You can do a whole lot more with this unit than most home Hi-Fi installations require, and maybe more than some would want.

I'd say it will probably be excellent, but you might want to resist the temptation to over equalize and play with the features. Set it up and leave it alone; Don't use response shapers more than you need. If you use the delay, do it systematically and know exactly how much you need to compensate for physical offset.

There's no harm in having fun with a unit like this, but without proper setup, you can really make a system sound bad. When properly used, it should be subtle, like it isn't even there. In my opinion, if you can "hear" a signal processing device, then it is not being used well.

How does a digital crossover work? [message #44135 is a reply to message #44134] Thu, 11 March 2004 11:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GarMan is currently offline  GarMan
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Does it take the analogue line level signal, convert it to digital, process it, and then convert to back to analogue?

Gar.

Yes it sure does [message #44136 is a reply to message #44135] Thu, 11 March 2004 12:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Wassilak is currently offline  Bill Wassilak
Illuminati (1st Degree)

Re: Yes it sure does [message #44138 is a reply to message #44136] Fri, 12 March 2004 07:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GarMan is currently offline  GarMan
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
So.....something like this would defeat the purpose of a vinyl system up front, right? Unless, the sampling and bit rates go beyond the standard 16 bit/44 Hz.

This is getting off topic but, wouldn't the best place for this be smack dab between the CD transport and DAC? Sure, you'll need a separate DAC for each speaker driver, but you'll also doing away with the ADC and DAC of the digital processor.

Gar.

Re: Yes it sure does [message #44141 is a reply to message #44138] Fri, 12 March 2004 09:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Wassilak is currently offline  Bill Wassilak
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Possibly to many years since I ran vinyl, some of the older units that's all they ran was the 16bit/44k but some of the newer units go all the way to 24bit/96k. DBX sampling rates are 24bit/48k, heres compiled list of speaker management systems it's maybe a little out of date, I think he compiled it back in 02 or 03 something like that, scroll down to digital crossovers. Some have digital inputs some don't.

Bill W.

Re: Yes it sure does [message #44142 is a reply to message #44141] Fri, 12 March 2004 10:59 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Good reference link. Thanks, Bill.

Previous Topic: Tower 2Pi ports
Next Topic: jbl 2242 vs 2245
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu May 09 21:41:48 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio