Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Tower 2Pi ports
Tower 2Pi ports [message #44127] Tue, 09 March 2004 07:20 Go to next message
Chaz is currently offline  Chaz
Esquire
I received my tower 2pi kits yesterday, thanks. I was wondering what to do about a port though. Is there supposed to be a tube that I'm missing?

Re: Tower 2Pi ports [message #44128 is a reply to message #44127] Tue, 09 March 2004 08:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
The towers don't use a vent - It's just a cutout in the baffle that forms the port. We're actually looking for a large diameter vent that is very short, so the baffle width itself sets the length.

For 5/8" wood stock, cut a 4.5" diameter port hole.
For 3/4" stock, cut a 4.625" hole.
For 1", cut the hole 4.75" dia.

Port Calculator? [message #44131 is a reply to message #44128] Wed, 10 March 2004 14:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
elektratig is currently offline  elektratig
Grand Master
Timely question and answer. Before winter set in, I started a pair of new cabinets to converts my 2 Pis into 2 Pi Towers, and then ceased operations when it got too cold in my garage/shop/igloo. Last weekend, I revived the project, cut the front and back baffles, and biscuited the back panels to the boxes. I am going to cut out driver and port holes and attach the internal braces and front baffles this weekend.

All of which leads to the question. I am going to be making the front baffle double thickness, using two panels of roughly 3/4" MDF (haven't measured it, it's 3/4" nominal), so the overall thickness should be about 1 1/2". Is there a program or formula that I can use to determine the proper port diameter, i.e., if 3/4" thick = 4.625"D, then 1 1/2" thick = x"D?

Thanks in advance.

Re: Port Calculator? [message #44132 is a reply to message #44131] Wed, 10 March 2004 15:33 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Go with a 5" diameter port if it's going to be 1.5" long.

As an aside, these ports are pretty big so maybe some people would want to use a wire mesh to keep the pets out. If so, I'd go with something with very large holes rather than a thin mesh. That should keep it from impeding airflow.

I don't use such a mech in my tower two's, but I have them pushed back within a few inches of the wall.

Previous Topic: Attenuator/Compensator
Next Topic: Do Pro digital crossover have good sound quality for Hi-fi?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue May 14 14:14:46 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio